Chapter 49 {Lo'ak's PoV}

"...so Neteyam wants you and me to meet with him and Kamari and we'll have a meet n' greet." I explain to a very skeptical looking Atala.

The waves crash on the sand, where we're walking the next morning, bound by our hands. I'm bringing Atala to the meeting place, a rocky peninsula with spongey moss covering it, making it a comfortable place to sit and chat. Atala is clearly not in a great mood after having to wake up so early to meet my brother's girlfriend. I don't know about her, but I'm very curious about Kamari and Neteyam, who seem to be polar opposites.

Atala and I arrive first. We plop down and I conveniently settle my tail over Atala's. She rests her head on my shoulder.

"I'm tired, why did we have to arrange this meeting so early?" Atala grumbles as I rub her arm.

"Well, I wanted to meet the girl that my brother is hooking up with," I say with a smirk on my face.

Atala ignores my joke, spotting Neteyam and Kamari walking towards us.

They look like the perfect couple. Neteyam has always been sought after for his appearance, and Kamari is stunning. I love Atala, and think she's literally the most beautiful Na'vi ever, but Kamari is definitely good looking. I notice Kamari is walking slightly ahead of my brother, which I find odd. Atala and I always walk side by side, but maybe these two do it differently.

They sit down across from Atala and I. I say hello to Neteyam. The girls just nod to each other. This is going to be a very tense meeting.

"So, Lo'ak, Atala, I want to formally introduce you to Kamari," Neteyam says, dipping his head in Kamari's direction.

"Nice to meet you," Kamari says sweetly. But something about her - maybe it's the way she moves, or her eyes, I'm not sure - something about her I do not trust. It seems...sneaky, like she's trying to get away with something.

It falls silent after that. I shoot Neteyam a look, desperate for them to say something. Neteyam shoots me the same look. I sigh internally. "So, how long have you two been together?" I ask lamely.

Neteyam and Kamari exchange a look before she smiles - the smile seems suspicious, or at least fake. "Well, 'Teyam and I met a long time ago - when the Sully's first came to the village. We've been...in and out of a...complex romantic relationship ever since." Kamari says.

Neteyam shrugs. "I guess you could put it like that," He turns to his girlfriend. "Kamari, Lo'ak and Atala have also had a complicated relationship. Why don't you two tell her about it?"

I feel Atala stiffen up beside me. She definitely does not want to be here, so I take one for the team and answer the question. "Well, we've definitely faced scorn, seeing as Atala was already discriminated against, and we haven't been the most loved villagers," I explain. "But seeing as we were able to over come that, I think it's safe to say we have a strong relationship now."

"I think that it's very brave of you two, to commit like this," Kamari says, resting a hand on my brother's knee. "But, as much as I've enjoyed this, I'm afraid that I have to be on my way."

Atala relaxes and I let out a silent breath of relief. I can't take the tension much longer.

"'Teyam, are you coming?" Kamari says as she stands.

"No, I'm going to stay here for a minute, but I'll catch you later?" He says, looking over his shoulder at Kamari.

She nods, although I notice a bit of a pout in her face. But she doesn't say anything and just leaves.

Neteyam looks nervous as he faces us. I know for a fact that Neteyam respects not only our relationship, but he respects the hell out of Atala. He's also a tiny bit afraid of her, which is understandable. I don't think he will be happy with what she has to say about Kamari.

"What do you guys think of Kamari?" He asks timidly.

Atala and I look to each other. From the subtle look on her face, she does not approve, and she will definitely have plenty of opinions about Kamari that I'm sure I will get to hear all about later.

"Kamari..seems like she knows how to have a good time," Atala says slowly. "But I'm not sure how committed she is to fun times with you, Neteyam."

Yeah, he is not happy. He drops his head and Atala winces. "I'm sorry, I-"

"No, no, you're right," He says, still looking at the ground. "Kamari is super fun, absolutely beautiful - but you're right. She's not committed at all."

From the way he ends his sentence, I can tell that he's leaving out something, but I don't press for it right now.

"That doesn't mean you should feel bad -  it's tricky to find someone you click with," I explain, taking Atala's hand in mine. "But when you do, it's so much better than just taking what you can get."

I see Atala smile in my peripheral vision. She squeezes my hand.

Neteyam sighs. "Whatever. We're not old, so I may as well have fun while I can - no offence to you guys."

I bite back a laugh. That could not be farther from the truth.