eight

"Drop me off here, thanks."

"Your going to your dads?" JJ asks.

He knows I barely ever go there. The last time I did was probably about a year ago.

"Yeah." I shrug.

"Just come to the chateau." JJ pleads.

"John B would go nuts." Pope laughs.

John B was my best friend since fifth grade with JJ, I hope this was just a little argument.

"I have to see my dad anyways, love you both." I smile, walking out of the chateau.

Pope didn't know that my dad was abusive, or an alcoholic. So JJ couldn't say much in front of him - which I appreciated.

"Be careful, please." JJ's eyes soften.

~

I jam the door open and see beer bottles everywhere. I see one on the table, shaking it to see if any's left for me to drink, but they were all empty.

I see my dad passed out on the couch, filling me with relief. At least I don't have to deal with him.

But I always felt bad with him. And I felt as if I would become him, but with drugs not alcohol. I always thought he didn't deserve it, he didn't mean to be abusive and all sorts of things.

But as I got older, I just stopped trying to excuse his actions.

I try to tidy the messy house up, by quietly washing the overflowing dishes in the sink, then started to pick up the beer bottles.

They were basically everywhere but the bin. I walked towards him, grabbing one off his stomach as he said my name.

"Gia." he mumbled, his eyes closed.

My heart shot up. Usually when he was blacked out like this, he was dead asleep, not even hearing a sound.

I try to turn around and walk away, but he proceeds to talk.

"Look at me when I talk to you." he says firmly.

I look back, his eyes wide open and red. Looks like he wasn't asleep for long as he was still drunk.

I didn't know how to escape this, I know I would get a beating anyway and there wasn't a stop to it this time.

"Please, I-"

"You what?" he yells.

"Please stop yelling." I mumble, covering my ears.

"Such a pussy." he laughs, standing up.

As he stands up, I knew I had to do something. I couldn't just give in. Without hesitation, I run towards my petite bedroom, locking it as soon as I can. I hear him chase after me and bang on the door as I closed it.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing!" he yells, slamming the door.

I don't answer, I was too scared to. There was a window in my bedroom, but it was too tiny to fit in. There was no way out now.

"Open the fucking door now!" he screams, jamming the doorknob as I hear it break off.

"You fucking bitch!" he screams, kicking the door.

I cover my ears with my hands, my eyes squeezing tight. I was used to this, but never liked the loudness. It frightened me.

I hear footsteps creak from behind my door and silence. I heard the door bang on the bottom, realising he's sitting behind my door, not letting me out.

"You know, I tried to be better." he says.

"I wanted to be a good dad."

The words made my feelings jumble up into a ball of wool. I know he tried, but what he did to me, and what he's doing isn't worth forgiving.

"I know I'm hard on you. Fuck I always am." he laughs loudly.

"I love you princess." he says.

"No you don't." the words slip out of my mouth.

Water filled my eyes as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"What did you just say to me?" he yells, banging the door.

"You don't!" I yell back.

"Yes the fuck I do!" he yells, punching the door which left a hole in it.

He could see my face through it, and I could see his. Once he realised he could see me, he kept punching more and more.

"What are you doing?" I cry out, my whole face moist because of all the tears I've made.

The door fell down because of all the destruction made to it, and he enters my bedroom, walking straight towards me.

I look at him, my eyes softening and wondering why he was like this. What happened to him?

Instead of making the right decision, he punches me in the face without hesitation. My eyes are pouring with water and my hand holds my cheek.

"You like that?" he yells.

I felt weak. I am weak.

"No one's here to save you. Not your friends, your mom, shit definitely not her." he laughs.

"Please!" I scream.

He punches me again, even harder this time as before he could another time, I push him to the ground with all my strength.

He laughs out loud, as I kneel down and punch him in the face a few times, his face bleeding. He doesn't stop laughing. He never stops.

He shoves me off him and runs towards me, about to get back at me. There was nothing I could do now, so I wedged in the corner, waiting for the regular beating I always get when I come back here.

My eyes squinted close, but I realised nothing was happening. I peak open, seeing my dad knocked out on the floor.

Rafe was towering over him.