twenty-nine

I brush past them almost immediately, exiting the bakery to see Rafe putting on his helmet for the motorbike.

"Rafe!" I walk towards him.

I didn't want him to feel as if he had to tell me anything. I would wait until he was ready.

He sighs before looking to me.

"What Gia?" he says in a cold tone, hopping on his motorbike.

"What do you want?" he asks in an aggressive way.

I was lost for words and confused on why he was so annoyed with me.

"I just wanted to check on you?" I reply softly.

He sighs again.

"Sorry, I just-" he doesn't finish his sentence.

"You don't have to explain, it's okay." I reassure him, lightly putting my hand on his arm.

"Shall we go?" I say after some silence.

"Mhm." he nods.

As I'm hopping onto the back of Rafe's motorbike, I see Kelce and Topper exiting the shop, looking straight at us.

I knew Rafe was embarrassed to be seen with me, so when he saw his friends staring he sighed, eventually driving off. It made me feel lesser than him, and it hurt but this wasn't the time.

While we're driving past Figure Eight, I ask Rafe to drop me off at The Wreck.

He seemed a little confused and hurt at the same time as it was his birthday but he agreed.

I hop off the bike and quickly peck him on the cheek.

"Why do you wanna go there anyway?" he asked.

"You'll see, I'll meet you later." I smile.

I walk towards my parents restaurant, knowing that Friday is the day Kiara works, and my parents don't.

It would give me a chance to talk to Kie about what happened the other night.

They sell sea food, but they also sell cakes for special events, like birthdays. For Rafe. I knew it wasn't much, but I didn't know what else to get or afford.

I stroll through the restaurant, about to go into the staff room when a waiter stops me.

"This is for staff only." she says.

"Oh I know, but I'm the daughter of the owners." I tell her.

"Yeah, right." she laughs, looking at my clothes.

Of course she was going off what I'm wearing. It was clear I was from the cut.

"Why wouldn't I be?" I start to get annoyed.

"Just-" she gets interrupted by the door from the staff room opening.

And I see Kiara.

"Gia? Hi." she looked confused, then nervous.

"Hey, can I talk to you?" I ask.