twenty-one

Me and Rafe finally reach the Cameron house whilst holding hands, making my stomach tingle.

"We need to get the car keys from my room, alright?" he says.

I nod.

He opens the front door as quietly as he could, still holding my hand as he tip-toes upstairs.
He opens his bedroom door, creating a squeaking sound.

"Shit." he says, entering the room.

He gently unlocks his hand from mine, walking towards the bed side table and grabbing the car keys. And that's when we hear footsteps making its way up the stairs.

"Rafe." I whisper, pointing to the door to get his attention.

He looks around the room, not sure what to do.

"Don't make a sound." he whispers.

Rafe's door creeks open as I stand beside it, not knowing where to go. Rafe makes his way to the door, greeting his father and holding the door just about right so that Ward couldn't see me.

"Did you pay for the generators like I told you to?" Ward says.

I breathe heavily. What if Ward finds out I'm here? He hates me.

Rafe instantly puts his hands onto my mouth to stop me from making any sound.

"Yeah, yeah I did." he nods.

"Good job." I hear Ward say.

"I was thinking we could have some father and son time?" he continues.

"What?" Rafe looked confused.

"What do you think?"

"I was about to go to Toppers." Rafe says coldly.

I don't know about Rafe, but I would do anything for any one of my parents to ask me this. Why was he being so cold towards him?

"Yeah, okay." Ward sighs, patting Rafe on the shoulder.

Rafe closes the door with his free hand, taking his other hand off of my mouth.

We look at each other for a brief second before talking.

"Fuck that was close." I laugh.

~

A few hours passed by and it was sundown. We successfully got out of the house and into the jeep, arriving at Charleston.

Rafe's hand was on my thigh the entirety of the journey, even whilst I was asleep.

My eyes slowly open out of my deep sleep to see Rafe parking at a restaurant.

"Where are we?" I yawn.

"You'll see."

We make our way out of the car, as I follow him into the restaurant. But there was no one in the restaurant. No seats were taken up, only a few people in the kitchen.

"Why is there no one here?" I whisper.

"I rented out the place." he whispers back.

"What?" I say, quite loudly.

"Yeah." he laughs.

We walk towards a booth which was closed off from the other tables. You could barely see anyone else, only each other and the walls.