thirty-one

I wake up in a bedroom full of paintings. The ones I remember seeing with Rafe. This was Sarah's bedroom.

"Hi!" she comes into the room with a towel wrapped around her body.

"Hey Sarah." I smile at the girl.

"Did you get a good sleep?" she asks me.

"Yeah, thank you."

"It's alright, when we got back here you literally fell asleep as soon as you saw my bed." she laughs and I do too.

She looks in her cupboard for clothes picking some out and changing behind the door.

"So, what happened at midsummers with you?" she asks.

"What?" I try to recollect my memories.

"In the bathroom."

And it all comes flooding back. How was I supposed to tell her that her brother was what happened to me.

"Oh it was nothing." I laugh.

She finishes changing and comes out from behind the door, raising her eyebrows.

"It was just a boy."

"Been there." she rolls her eyes.

"Who was it?" she asks.

"I don't wanna talk about it right now."

"Okay." she gives an apologetic look.

I get up from the bed, looking in the mirror. My face was bare, I guessed Sarah took my makeup off last night. I was still in my dress from midsummers, so Sarah gave me some of her clothes.

"You can shower if you want, it's just through there." she points to the room next to hers.

"Thank you Sarah, really." I say.

"It's alright." she laughs.

How could someone I thought was nothing more than a kook for my whole life turn out to be so pure.

"I'll go make breakfast, come down when you're ready." Sarah says.

"Oh, and don't worry, my parents aren't here." she exclaims.

"Thank god." I laugh.

I walk to the bathroom, undressing myself and turning on the shower. I tried to get my mind off of things, but all I could think of was Rafe.

I thought maybe I was making it a bigger deal than it actually was, but he keeps lying to me. He keeps doing stupid shit that he knows will affect our relationship.

But bringing another girl to midsummers without telling me was above all of the things he's done before. How could he? If I brought another boy, he would go ballistic.

The boiling water rushed onto my skin. I haven't had a shower for a couple of days, which was the only con of being a pogue.

I try to get Rafe off my mind, hopping out of the shower and getting into Sarah's clothes. She gave me denim shorts and a cropped top, it was cute.

I walk out of the bathroom, jogging down the stairs into the kitchen. I was so hungry, and hangover, but I didn't want to worry Sarah.

"Hey girl." she says, placing waffles onto the counter.

"These look so good."

"Well thank you, it's my own little recipe." she laughs.

"I thought they were those packet ones, they look perfect." I take a bite.