Chapter Ten||When We Were Kids

Chapter Ten
When We Were Kids

Before Stella's parents got rich and moved their small family off the cut, they lived just down the street from the Heywards.

Stella grew up with the boy. They met in daycare and became inseparable ever since. They did everything together. They had sleepovers almost every night and their families would have dinner together every weekend.

When they were both seven they met a boy named John B. He was playing alone on the playground because his best friend was home sick. Stella asked him if he wanted to play and he immediately said yes.

The next day they were introduced to his best friend, JJ. When John B introduced him Stella didn't like him. She recognized him as the boy that would pull her hair at lunch.

Soon though, she found out that he was really nice and that she was able to boss him around. She loved that she was able to boss him around.

After that they would always have sleepovers at eachothers houses and Stella's parents absolutely adored her friends.

The group of four soon turned into five when they were nine. They met Kiara during lunch. She was yelling at a boy for putting gum in her hair. Pope and Stella comforted the girl as JJ and John B yelled at him.

After that the five became inseparable. Even when Stella was ten and moved to to figure eight they remained friends.

When Kiara moved to figure eight she didn't hangout with them as often. She hung out with Sarah and Stella but never the Pogues.

Stella never understood why but didn't want to ask. That year was hard for everyone. That was the year Big John went missing.

When Kiara and Sarah stopped being friends it put Stella in the middle. She tried her hardest to stay there but it was very difficult when every second of every day Sarah was to paces behind her. 

So, Stella drifted away from her family and ever since she felt a piece of her was missing.

Now, she was with them again and she felt whole again. Nothing could go wrong, at least she hoped.

•••

Stella sat in the hammock with Pope as the Pogues just sat in silence. It was getting dark and everyone was trying to process the long day they had.

"You really think it's out there? Like no bullshit?" Pope asked as Stella craned her neck to look up at him.

"My father thought it was," John B responded solemnly.

"But do you?" Pope's question made Stella sit up a little bit more, eager to hear John Bs answer.

"After hearing his voice on that tape... I think I do."

"Only one way to find out," Pope muttered as Stella grinned up at him, making the smile down at her.

"Look, we're gonna find it, you know," Kiara said reassuringly. "Even JJ believes," she whispered.

"Oh, my god, JJ, do you really believe?" John B asked sarcastically as Stella held back a snort.

"Totally," he immediately answered. "Wait, are we talking about the four mil?"

"Four hundred mil," everyone answered in sync.

"Jinx," Kiara and Stella said at the same time.

"Jinx," Stella said before the girl. "You owe me a Coca-Cola now, Kie."

JJ let out a laugh and stretched against the hammock. "I'm gonna dream about shipwrecks, goodnight, Bird!"

Kiara and Stella laughed as John B responded to JJ. "Goodnight, bird shit," he said and JJ flipped him off in response.

Stella leaned her head into Popes chest, "all of you are losers," she said as they laughed at her in response.

•••

Just a really short filler chapter that gives some background on our favorite family.