Chapter Fifteen||Midsummers

Chapter Fifteen

Midsummers

Stella silently got ready for midsummers as The Backseat Lovers floated through her room. The bruises and cuts from her summer had faded into yellow and green making it harder to cover up but she was a pro. She learned it from her mother.

When Stella was done with her makeup she stood and looked at herself in the mirror. She wore a pink satin dress with beaded flowers at the bottom and wore her hair in a curly top knot.

"Sunny, it's time to go!" Her father called out.

Stella gave herself a satisfied smile in the mirror before leaving her room to meet her parents at the door.

Carmen gasped happily at the sight of her daughter, "mi hija hermosa!"

Stella grinned happily and kissed her mothers cheek, "gracias, mami."

The family of three made their way out the door with wide smiles on their faces. No one would ever know what happened last night. The Perez family chose not to remember what happened last night.

"Mi sol," Danny said as he drove the car to midsummers. "I want you to promise us that you will be on your best behavior tonight."

Stella nodded her head and made eye contact with him through the rearview mirror. "I promise."

Stella was praying that she wouldn't break that promise.

•••

Stella took in the sight of almost every single kook in one place. It was terrifying.

The girl wanted to be anywhere but there but she had to keep a promise.

Stella picked at her hands as she quickly avoided another family's questions. She didn't want to talk to anyone about her future plans or how she has grown since last time they've seen her.

Unfortunately, Stella made eye contact with Ms. Luran, who was notorious for making a two second conversation last hours.

The girls eyes widened as she quickly looked around before running away as fast as she could. "Oh, fuck."

Stella kept her head down and weaved through the crowd of people. She kept moving but stopped when she ran into someone.

The person grabbed her arms so she wouldn't fall, "I am so so sorry," she said and looked up to see Pope.