↝three

"MALLIE!" HER MOTHER YELLED from downstairs, her voice dripping in frustration

Mallie's eyes tore from her cupboard, in front of which she had been standing for ten minutes trying to decide whether she wanted to bring her yellow or her green raincoat, and fell on the clock: ten thirty-eight.

Late was an understatement.

She and her mother hurriedly shoved all her things into the car. Thought, Mallie still ran back to her room several times, fetching things she'd forgotten (one of them being Shark).

She could be seen sprinting through King's Cross Station with her mother precisely four minutes before the train was scheduled to leave, and the Hogwarts Express was never late.

By the time the two ran through the portal onto the platform, there was steam spluttering from the top of the red train.

The doors were mere moments from closing and sets of parents were standing on the platform, childless, and waving goodbye.

Mallie offered her mother a quick peck on the cheek and jumped into the train as the doors shut, she only just heard her mother shouting a quick, "behave!".

She smiled and waved at the closed doors and soon her mother was no longer in sight, only rolling green hills.

Mallie realised that she was still standing in the middle of the train passageway and needed to find a compartment.

She picked up her things (that would be swept away to her dorm room at Hogwarts any moment now) and started down the passageway.

Mallie was three steps down the walkway when a small croak at her feet caused her to shriek and stumble in order to miss squashing the small green toad.

Brown hair flying all over the place, Mallie hit the train floor with a large thud. Her things tumbled in all directions, Shark's cage flying open and him following out and away into a nearby compartment.

She gasped for air and rolled onto her back, she lifted a hand to feel a dribble of blood running from her bottom lip.

"M-Merlin, are you okay? I-I'm so sorry.. I was just looking f-f-for him.."

When she could, Mallie opened her eyes and identified a slightly chubby brown haired boy above her who looked on the verge of crying.

He helped her up with shaking hands, and when Mallie had regained her composure, she looked at him again.

"It's Neville, right?"