↝twenty

THE REST OF THAT EVENING was spent in the Hufflepuff common room, cluttered with dishes of food from the kitchens and several stolen bottles of Firewhiskey, partying into the night

The celebrations continued for several nights, almost a week. But if you asked Mallie, she was convinced that they had forgotten about Cedric by the third night and that the Hufflepuffs were simply looking for reasons to throw obnoxiously large parties.

Cedric had, however, remained in good spirits for a while afterwards- the adrenaline, it seemed, taking a while to wear off.

It did however, and the students soon found themselves realizing that homework was a oncoming reality. This simple fact lead Mallie and Charlie into the library on a rainy night in the early days of December.

"Char, I don't get it... does the three carry over?" Mallie complained as she stared maliciously down at her Arithmacy chart for what felt like the hundredth time.

"No, the three is subtracted here from the twelve, see? It's not so hard Mal..." Charlie leaned over to examine the parchment.

"Easy for you to say, Mr Ravenclaw prefect." She mumbled. Charlie laughed.

"No, that's West." He said.

"Huh! West?" Mallie replied, "He sits at the our table so often that I'm pretty sure Sprout is convinced he's a Hufflepuff."

He laughed again. They sat for a little while longer.

"Oh come on,  people get married every day. Everyone finds someone."

"I know, I'm just worried... I don't know whether anyone will want to marry me." Mallie said shyly.

How did they get to this topic again? She thought.

Charlie stiffened, "Of course you will."

Mallie leaned back in her chair, "Ugh, I sound so needy, I don't want to be that girl. Let's talk about something else."

He was quiet a moment, "Look, Mal--"

"Mallie, hey!" A voice called out from behind her, and Mallie swiveled in her chair to see the person.

"Regina," Mallie smiled. Regina Grundy was a girl in Hufflepuff with her, just a year older.

"Hi Charlie," Regina neared the table and blushed as she offered a small wave to an irritable looking Charlie.

"Hi." He mumbled.

Regina deflated a bit.

"Anyway," She turned back to Mallie, "House meeting in five minutes in the common room. Sprout wants to talk to us about something."

"Oh, thanks Reggie. Let me pack my things and I'll walk with you." Mallie began shoving papers into her messenger bag then turned to Charlie.

"To be continued?"