↝twenty four

WEST HAD SOME PREFECT DUTIES to attend to, but promised Mallie that he would meet her at dinner

They'd been sitting in the Great Hall in moderate silence before West noticed the time and excused himself.

For the most part, students were still down at Hogsmeade, enjoying their last few hours there, and the Great Hall was only barely occupied.

With the rest of her friends among them, Mallie carried herself back to her dorm and mindlessly occupied herself with Arithmacy homework.

Every hour or so, she would to get up off of her bed to add more wood to the fireplace in the quiet room, but otherwise did nothing. 

By the third hour, Mallie's homework lay forgotten and she glanced over at her cupboard wherein she knew her dress hung hidden.

She thought of the night she would wear it. How she wished it was someone else on her arm, taking her to the Yule Ball.

Perhaps she could ask him for a dance?

Mallie shook her head lightly, pushing her thoughts to the back of her mind and glancing at the clock on her bedside table.

Quarter past five.

Dinner would be starting soon.

No sooner had her eyes left the time, when the door swung open and hit the wall with a bang.

"Mallie!" Scarlette exclaimed.

"Scarlette." She replied calmly, sitting up on her bed.

Scarlette stood with an expectant and overexcited look on her face.

"Mallie!" She said again, this time more impatient.

"Scarlette," Mallie replied again.

Scarlette huffed and began to pace,
"Charlie! You!"

Oh.

"You said yes!"

Mallie sighed, "Yes I recall. Who told you?"

Scarlette glanced at Mallie's face and took a seat beside her, offering a sympathetic glance.

"Charlie himself. Ran into him on the way here.

"Look, Mal," She continued, "I know I'm not always the smartest, but I know that Charlie was not the person you wanted to take to the Ball."

Mallie didn't reply, but simply sighed again and pulled her pillow up from the bed to hide her face in it.

Scarlette laughed, "Everything will work out in the end."

Mallie still said nothing.

"Oh come on!" Scarlette whined,
"Cheer up!"

Still nothing.