thirty two

"WHERE ARE WE GOING?"

Mallie was hurried down familiar passageways, led by George who had a gentle grip around her fingers walking just ahead of her.

He looked back and grinned, "Oh, come on. We're nearly there."

Mallie nearly tripped over the ends of her blue dress in her heels, this, however, only caused George to tighten his grip on her hand and pull her closer to himself as they walked.

Soon, Mallie was face to face with the entrance of her dorm room, she frowned.

"Bed time?" She said confused.

George chuckled at her, slipping his hand slowly into hers again and walking her just past the wide oak door of the Hufflepuff towards the large painting of a bowl of fruits.

"Want to do the honors?" George asked Mallie, motioning to the painting.

She smiled and nodded, lifting her hand to reach towards the pear and, with one finger, began tickling it.

The thin air between them was filled with little giggles that Mallie knew were coming from the pear, which was now wriggling as she continued to tickle it.

Not a moment later, the painting swung back revealing an opening the wall behind it.

Mallie peaked inside, examining the room: pots occupying each counter, food displayed on trays and house elves of all nose and ear shapes and sizes scuttled around.

"I haven't been in here in forever!" She exclaimed, grinning broadly.

Just then, the elves had recognized the two's presence. All of them abandoned their posts and rushed towards the two standing in the entranceway.

"Madam, Sir!", they squeaked with wide, excited grins.

Mallie was conversing with a house elf, which she recognized as Pearl's oldest cousin, as George leaned down and whispered something into another elf's ear. It nodded eagerly and rushed off.

Mallie stood straight again as the elf ran off, "So what are we doing here?"

George, in a rush of courage, gently wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him,

"Just getting some stuff." He replied.

Mallie felt explosions erupt in her chest and she blushed a volcanic red.

She hoped George didn't notice as, just then, several elves hurried up to them carrying each a tray of sweet and savory treats offering and insisting they tried each.

"Don't eat away your appetite." George whispered to her, Mallie looked at him puzzled, but nonetheless only had a few bites of what they offered- a challenge as she had barely eaten anything that evening.