↝twenty seven

GEORGE HAD BEEN PUSHING AROUND the mash on his plate for the last fifteen minutes

He'd found that he wasn't as hungry as he'd thought.

He trudged his way through Dumbledore's Christmas Eve address to the school and forked down a few mouths of peas, but spent most of the time thereafter staring at the spot Mallie usually sits in at the Hufflepuff table.

It was empty.

By this time tomorrow night, George thought, he would have been having a good time at the ball.
Perhaps even have convinced Mallie into offering him a dance.

That's what started this whole disaster. That bloody Yule Ball and that bloody git Charlie, he thought on.

But still, he knew he was to blame for Mallie and the stone in his throat and the stinging in his eyes and the grumble in his stomach.

As the dinner drew to a close, George found himself eager to get back to the hospital wing.

"You promised, mate." He said to Fred who was in attempting to slow him down.

"I know, I know... just one cup of tea will do you good, please?" Fred urged.

George nodded reluctantly and took his seat again, the red and white teapot lifting off the table as if by an invisible hand and pouring into George's cup until he made a gesture for it to stop.

Fred knew he wasn't going to get any riveting conversation out of George tonight, so contented himself with sitting beside him with his own tea in silence.

A Ravenclaw girl entered the Hall, mildly catching George's attention.

George's eyes followed her and widened when she made a beeline to the Hufflepuff table.

The black haired girl leaned down and said something to Cedric in his ear.

Cedric peeked up immediately and his glance fell to the door, he said something to West and Charlie and within moments the three were up and speeding to the door.

George leapt out of his seat, his heart nearly jumping out of his chest.

"Mallie..." he said.

The teacup fell and shattered into hundreds of pieces and the tea spilt across the floor, but George was long gone.

He'd sprinted out of the Hall, not caring about the hot stares of it's occupants.

He sped down corridors and winding turns. Soon enough, he was met by the familiar entrance of the hospital wing.

George swung the door open and rushed in, the three boys crowded around her bed.

"You again," Charlie growled.

George's teeth gritted at the sight of him.

"Why don't you leave Mallie the hell alone! You've given her more than enough trouble already!"
Charlie continued as George neared him.