Chapter 4 Girl in the High Castle

Undisclosed warehouse in Vale...

Bullheads can be seen unloading crates of dust while the White Fang makes sure that the containers are sorted out and brought to storage. Two people are walking into the warehouse to meet a particular individual. "Roman!" a silver-haired boy asks. The criminal mastermind is made aware of the approaching teenagers and gives them a warm welcome. "Oh, look she sent the kids again~," Roman says. "this is turning out just like the divorce."

"Ugh! Spare us your BS! You know why we're here." The green-haired growled at Roman. "Yes, Emerald..." Roman sighed. "Enjoyed your little encounter with that third party?" Mercury said, causing the criminal to frown. "I know I have Aura unlike you, but we were flying a hundred feet in the air. It basically broke my Aura, and I would've broken a few bones if the trees didn't slow my fall. Your encounters don't usually end like that, unless you're lacking the power to control that particular situation."

"We're not lacking anything," Emerald says. " "The increased attacks speak another story," Roman said. "What do you mean?" Mercury asks, raising an eyebrow. "They are getting more and more aggressive the fact that I was captured says a lot," Roman growled. "I have an idea. It'll make this trip a lot simpler." "Anything," Mercury says. "They are attracted to White Fang activity right? Then why don't we conduct decoy raids to draw their attention away." Roman suggest. "And how do you propose we do that?" Emerald asks.

"Well, we get to work immediately after we arrive." Roman replied. "Fine... Don't tell us... Let's see if you won't tell us once I barbeque you." A particular woman with a fiery red dress said."Ah, Cinder, I didn't think you would be here." Roman said."You are forgiven, but I would like to know how you're dealing with this new group," Cinder crossed her arms."Well... If they are getting more aggressive, we just throw a wrench into the works and throw them off." Roman explained.Cinder simply narrowed her eyes and said, "They better not interfere with our plans.""I'm sure we can handle them without problems." Mercury said.

Two days ago...

"This is Eagle 1 to Cowboy 1. How do you read?" An F-35 asked.

"This is Cowboy 1, we have picked up the HVI and are exfiltrating the operation zone." A Blackhawk pilot responded.

"We copy. We are coming in to land on the outskirts of the operation zone, your location in five mikes."The Blackhawk pilot quickly flies the helicopter towards the landing zone.

"This is Cowboy 2. We have a situation here!"

"This is Cowboy 1. What's the situation over?"Before he can respond, a figure can be seen falling into the forest below.

"Christ, what happened!?" Cowboy 1 asked.

"Bastard just jumped out the heli!" Cowboy 2 replied.

"Shit... Is he alright?"

"I don't know, get a visual on Roman! We need to see if he's alright!" The Blackhawks circled the forest, but since they were low on fuel, they had to abort the search.

"Overlord is not going to like this..." Cowboy 1 said.

"What do we do now, sir?"

"Well... We wait for reinforcements. We should be able to get a visual on them soon."

"What are we waiting for, sir?"

"Leave him for another day." Cowboy 1 said.

"Yes, sir." The pilot nods.As the helicopter flies away, the pilot turns his head to look at the dark forest below. He says,

"He'll be alright..."

Beacon Academy...

Blake Belladonna is walking through the hallways of Beacon Academy, heading straight for Cardin's dorm. Since the intervention in the Vale docks, Blake has been wondering what she got herself into. She knocks on Cardin's door.

"Come in, I'll be right there." He says.She walks in and finds Cardin sitting on his bed with some books.

"Hey." He says."Hey, you."They stood silent for a moment, but Cardin decided to break the awkwardness.

"So... I suppose you're here to ask me who were the people who saved your asses back at the docks."

"Yeah," Blake said.

"I see... I understand. But, I still need some more information."

"What do you need?" Blake asked.

"You see, I need your help." Cardin explains.

"I won't help you until you at least tell me who they are!" Blake answered.

"Then you'll go screaming about it to your big daddy Ozpin." Cardin replied sarcastically, which made Bake visibly irritated."Fine, I'll tell you who they are."

"You'd better."

Cardin sighed, "The men and women you met are called 'Nocte condimentum' or Night Rangers."

"Nocte condimentum? Night Rangers?" Blake was shocked. She hasn't heard of a group like that before. They couldn't be Atlas, and any mercenary group never matched up to the tech level of these strange people. There had to be something more to it, and Cardin was smack dabbed in the middle of it.

"Are they part of the crime familes of Atlas?" Blake asked.

"No. If they were, they would be in the least desirable section. Night Rangers are an independent group of specialists."

"What do they do?"

"I already told you too much help me with something, and I'll answer more of your questions." Cardin said."I'll tell you what I'll tell you."

"Fine..."

Cardin is a shrewd man. He knows how to satisfy others' curiosity as well as shut them down. Since he has the answers he wants, he continues, "I need you to get close enough to Weiss to learn what you can from her. Preferably her childhood life with her father and sister."

Blake was now getting suspicious, "I won't exploit any of my friends just to satiate my curiosity."

"Oh, I wouldn't do that." Cardin said.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that I'll need to be there when you talk to her."

"You'll be there?" Blake said in a suspicious manner.

"I'll need to make sure that your actions are as directed and don't interfere with my plans. I need to know that you're working alone."

"What do you mean, 'make sure'?"

"I'll make sure you don't talk."

"Excuse me?"

"This whole operation must be as secret as possible Ozpin is more cunning than you think." Cardin said.

"What operation?"

"I'll explain it all to you when the time comes."

"Fine," Blake said in a dejected voice.

"I'll see you later, then." Then they heard the roar of dust engines and a crowd gathering outside. Cardin and Blake look through the window. They see a small fleet of airships arriving in Vale. It was Atlas...