Chapter 12 The Threat Within (Part 1)

She makes it to the communications center and is relieved that her team is already hard at work. Her team is small for a communications center, with only five operatives. The smaller team was chosen to maintain secrecy.

"How's the jamming going?" Summer asked.

"It's doing fine as for the burning of our safehouse, however..."

"Yes?"

"We have burned most of them and the Shadows have retreated to Junior's place."

"We have also been monitoring the political situation. The Academies are naive to think that the other kingdoms are not itching to give each other a wedgie," The operator responded.

"So we will have to be ever vigilant," Summer responded, "We can't take any chances."

"No," The operator says, "We won't."

"Ma'am!" One of her subordinates ran up to her, "Another diplomatic incident with Vacuo and Mistral. Another ship was seized after being found smuggling weapons, food, and Dust to Vacuo."

Summer frowned. She had enough of the kingdoms' bullshit. They had been at each other's throats for a while now. Many of the kingdoms except Menagerie have been smuggling or importing weapons from Atlas. It's a very profitable racket for the crime lords in Mistral. She doubted their council was happy with them and their neighbor. Mistral has already been bleeding Vacuo dry for Lien due to the demand for food. As a result, Vacuo started smuggling food using back channels. What made it worse was every contract they signed with the smugglers came from one of the councils themselves.

"fucking dumbasses!" Summer huffed.

"How does that help us?" One of her operatives asked.

"We can use this situation to our advantage."

"How?"

As her subordinates continue to debate how they could manipulate this trade war to their advantage and gain intelligence, she couldn't help but think of her daughter in Vale.

"How goes the counter-terrorist operations?" Summer questioned.

"Hercules has all but cleared Vacuo of White Fang. Either by convincing them to change their ways or... making them disappear..." He continued, "Tempest is currently investigating the whereabouts of its leader while Shadow has already retreated to Junior's place in preparation for a withdrawal."

"Good, what about Atlas?"

"Kremlin is holding their ground and they report that the White Fang blitzkrieg has failed due to winter."

"Stop fucking with me!"

"Fine! They were currently planning an op against them but activity from none other than Winter Schnee herself forced them to reconsider."

"That's great! And the rest of the council?"

"All of them are investigating Vale's recent attack from the White Fang. They're scared, Summer... And scared people do scary things..."

"I will handle it," Summer said.

"Good," the operator replied, "I'll keep you informed of our current situation."

"Wonderful."

Beacon Academy...

"Hi, Mom!" Ruby shouted through her phone.

Her mom responded with a sigh. "Ruby, that greeting was a bit too loud. Please be mindful of others' hearing."

"Sorry, Mom," Ruby apologized. "Yang's here with me. Say hello, Yang!"