Chapter 1: Welcome to Yule Town

First it was the sound of rain. He could swear he could hear it crystal clear, hitting the back windows of the car. He could still feel the leather seat below him, soft and cold to the touch. It was dark, and there were more noises in the atmosphere. He could hear strong rumbling sounds, like a pounding hammer, only ten thousand times larger. He wasn't sure if it was somewhere close or far away, but it was always there.

Then, there was also a song. He had trouble remembering the lyrics, but the melody he remembered well. There was a guitar, a keyboard and drums. The bass was the hardest part to remember, it always had been. He never had an ear for music, if he was being honest, ever since he was little. Sure he could catch a rhythm and recognize songs or genres, but when it came to decomposing a song, he was pretty useless.

... Coming out... just fine... I want it all...

... How... like this... only a...

No, the lyrics were too foggy. But there were more sounds. There always were. Words. Words of hatred, launched from one end of the front row to the other. Two sides clashing like a storm and a volcano. Nobody's a winner, but nobody gives up either. And one last sound: the sound that he had come to associate with fear. A large, prolonged noise, coming closer from further ahead, into the light...

And then, he heard his name called out in the silence.

Connor...! Connor...! Wake up, Connor!

Eyes open. There was no high pitched sound coming closer. There was no song. There were no screams, but there was rain. Connor looked to his left, and saw that it was raining heavily against the bus window. Then, he turned his head to his right, and saw that Alexis had been shaking him awake. She looked the same as she had been before he had fallen asleep; a brown coat a bit too big for her small size, jeans, sneakers and a red wool beanie that she never took off, no matter what were the circumstances. She shook her head and sighed in relief, thankful that he was already up.

-"Finally!"-she said, giggling-"I have been trying to wake you up forever. You really are the heaviest sleeper..."

-"Well, you're no different, Al."-Connor said, lifting his head from the armrest in which he had dozed off on, and taking a look around the proximate seats around him-"So in the end, nobody got on, huh?"

-"Well..."-Alexis said, lowering her voice a little-"There's some guy in the back..."

Connor turned around on his seat and saw what Alexis meant. There was a guy sitting in the farthest back, with a hooded jacket, black pants and large white headphones on. In comparison to Connor's worn out jeans and blue hoodie, the mystery person seemed like he was dressed for a photoshoot. It was hard to tell out his face, but other than him there weren't any more people on the ride.

-"He got in when we were passing Chicago. He's made it this far, so I think he's heading the same way as us."

Connor nodded, once again getting back in the correct position on his seat, taking a big yawn and extending his arms.

-"So, are we in Wisconsin yet?"-he asked, looking towards Alexis.

-"Oh, we've been there since about two hours ago."-she said-"Actually we're almost at the place. That's why... I woke you up..."

Alexis's gaze fell to the ground, and Connor immediately scooted closer to the younger girl, wrapping one of his arms around her shoulders.

-"Hey..."-Connor whispered in sympathy, with a sweet smile-"It's going to be ok. We're going to be ok. We'll get by it, like we've always had. Alright?"

Alexis looked up at Connor, hesitant.

-"... I know we'll be fine. I just get so nervous... when it's a new place..."