Chapter 24: First move

-"A-And he is giving him private piano lessons?"

-"Yeah, something like that..."

-"Like, frequently?"

-"I wouldn't really know..."

-"Has he asked about me?"

-"I've only seen him once..."

Grace hadn't ever seemed this anxious about something before. Or rather, someone. But Connor assumed it was to be expected of her now that she had crossed paths with a friend from her past (Connor was certain there was more to it but he didn't ask):

Saturday arrived with more haste than any other day of the week thus far, and that meant that Troye's promise to have Connor over at his place to show him how to play video games was now due.

Connor hadn't thought about it all week. Or at least, that's what he had made himself belief. But now it was all different. But, as soon as Saturday came, the phone of Grace's house rang, and it was Troye, asking if Connor could go spend the day. Grace thought the detail was charming and gladly accepted before even consulting Connor. Still the same klutz as always.

They were now driving to the blue house, and halfway there Connor made the mistake of telling her that Chester was the new music teacher at Yule High, and that as of that week he was now tutoring Troye in piano and composing lessons.

Truth be told, the second Chester agreed to tutor Troye, Connor had a nudging feeling he'd never hear the end of it. To Grace, Troye was Connor's friend, and this made an obvious connection. Grace was his foster mother after all, and despite what it may or may not mean, she was still a person of her own, and she hadn't been with anyone in a really long time. At least that's what it seemed. Connor wasn't even sure if she had any friends, other of course than Principal Hart, whom she used to have phone conversations with all time. She would often talk for hours on the house phone, particularly at nights. Connor ever wondered why Principal Hart didn't take her out or something, but he eventually came to notice that some of Grace's favorite phrases to say on the phone were 'I'm too tired' and 'there's a lot of stuff I need to get for the office'. Which meant of course that she was doing her best to avoid having a social life. Having so many sweat pants had to be a sign of that, too.

But even knowing that, Connor couldn't help but respect the woman more and more. Up to the point that he even wondered if there was anything he could do to help her leave her shell.

-"He hasn't called you yet?"—Connor asked, actually surprised that was the case—"From the looks of it, I was guessing he would right away..."

-"Oh, he must be busy, being a new teacher and all."—Grace said, while driving—"Even Mamrie says she's hardly seen him, and he works for her!"

-"Principal Hart? She knows him, too?"

-"Of course! The three of us were all in the same High School clique. Most of our friends left town after they were done, though. People who can, usually don't stick around... Mamrie was different. She always loved it here. And she had always wanted to help others, and that's why she became a teacher. We all had our dreams. And Chester, well... It's... it's just so strange... Seeing him, after so many years..."

Connor didn't ask why, but he didn't have to, as he knew she was bound to keep talking.

-"I knew him since we've been little, and we used to date, back in high school."—she said—"I'd go to see his band play..."

-"He was in a band?"—Connor asked, estranged.

-"Yes, yes he was! Just like your friend Troye and your other friends! Yeah, and I always told him how I wanted to be a journalist, and he always said how he wanted to be a rock star... but those two dreams never went hand in hand."