Chapter 42: Down to skin and bones

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"... Eh... What... What is that sound...?"

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"Where am I...? I'm..."

Beep... Beep... Beep...

"I'm... I... I can't move...?"

Beep... Beep...

Beep...

Connor could feel his head going extremely dizzy, but that was almost about it. He had the sensation that it was moving upwards; as if being pushed up into the sky. With a little effort, he could listen to the faint sound of his heartbeat. However, there were no signs of his arms or legs.

Beep...

Beep...

The loud beeping noise kept ringing in the echoing surrounding, as if it were everywhere. Connor's head kept spinning, and something like a faint light seemed to be filtering through his closed eyes. With little strength, he tried opening them, to little success, but for long enough to notice what appeared to be lights rushing downwards in front of him, a blueish squared tiled pattern along with it, and what appeared to be several pairs of flashing eyes before him.

-"... Hurry... Intensive... Care... Patient... Now...!"

-"... Move... Hurry...!"

"What... What are those...?", Connor thought to himself, "Are those... voices...?"

More faraway voices could be heard in the surroundings, but Connor couldn't notice what they were saying. But from what he could gather, it seemed like they were talking about him. Connor was having a hard time putting the pieces together on what was going on, but what was for certain is that these people were carrying him away somewhere.

But he had no time to be taken anywhere.

He had to check on Nicola.

He had to see if his sister was alright.

Fathoming what little strength he felt he had in him, he tried to produce some sort of movement. It was a merely impossible task with the accumulated exhaustion, which wasn't letting him even raise his head. But, just as he was about to give up, he felt his right arm returning to his control, and with it, the fingers of his right hand twitching slightly.

"Come on... notice it, you idiots...", he begged to his insides.

-"... Look... Fingers... Moving...!"

-"... Give... More... Now... Hurry..."

-"... Loosing... Consciousness..."

-"... Heartbeat... Slowing...!"

"I'm not dying... you... lot of... imbeciles..."

But the exhaustion was stronger than Connor.

Before he could try to move again, the exhaustion took the best of him, and lost himself to the world of the blackest sleep he'd only ever had once in life before. Only he wasn't aware of it yet.

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

---

The first thing he noticed, was the smell. Something that seemed familiar, but long forgotten. Connor struggled to remember where it was from, or what it even was, despite how physically tired he felt. However, after a few minutes of the scent, he came across what it was; a mixture of warm coffee recently brewed, and burnt cinder left from last night's fireplace.