Chapter 44: Thicker than blood

-"YOU, MISTER, ARE IN SO MUCH TROUBLE...! AUGH, YOU HAD ME SO, SO WORRIED...! Are you sure you're doing ok!? What did the doctors say!? Have you gotten a concussion or something!? Is it even possible to get concussions like that...!? What the hell do I know, I'm not a doctor! Damnit I felt so useless! You are so, SO grounded, by the way! No phone privileges, for a MONTH! Although, on second thought that's not so bad, and you still need your phone for emergencies, I mean GEESH look at what happened...! And technically you did save someone's life... AUGH DAMNIT WHY ARE YOU SUCH AN ANGEL!? I CAN'T EVEN BE PROPERLY MAD AT YOU...!"

All of this Grace told Connor as she embraced him tightly around the neck and placed kisses all over his head's crown and forehead and cheeks, and Connor couldn't do anything about it, as he was still bedbound at the hospital. She had let go off all her inhibitions when it came to physical affection towards him, and that was proof of how worried she had been due to the incident. Present inside the hospital room were also Alexis, Mikey and the nurse who worked with Dr. Mellet. Alexis was giggling at the image of their foster mother pampering Connor, and Mikey had taken the liberty of filming the entire thing on his phone as he laughed. The nurse smiled tenderly.

-"Grace, I swear... it's fine! I mean, I'm fine...!"

-"YOU SHUT UP AND LET ME HUG YOU...! I DON'T THINK YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED...! You could have frozen to death...! You could've drowned...! What if there hadn't been someone passing by on their car at the time, what would have happened to the two of you...!?"

Grace finally let go off Connor, and backed away a bit. It was now that Connor realized she had been crying, and was currently on the verge of tears as well.

-"For a moment, we all thought that... that we had lost you... I thought that I... I had screwed it up with you..."

Connor got struck with a sense of guilt on his throat. He took Grace's hand in his and squeezed it with his little by little returning strength.

He was safe.

They were all safe.

-"I'm sorry for what I did."—he said—"I was selfish, and I shouldn't have left like that... I hope that... that you let me come back after this..."

-"What do you mean 'you hope'!? I'm not letting my sight off you! And I'm serious about the punishment...! I... I'll have to figure something out about how to punish you, but that's for a different time...! Right now... I'm just glad that... that..."

Grace had started whimpering a little, and the sound of it, Mikey and Alexis both leaned in closer to the bed, each of them taking one of her hands and holding Connor's with the other one. The four of them sat there, for the first time, gathered after what could have been a tragic night.

-"... I'm just glad that we are all together now."—Grace said, composing herself back up and then standing up from the bed—"Well, I have to go fill out a thousand forms. It appears you still need to spend a couple of nights here to do some checkups, but you'll be home before Christmas. Until then, we are staying here with you."

Connor was about to protest, but Grace took a finger to his lips to shut him up.

-"AH-AH-AH! No buts! We are staying here with you and that's that! I already asked Mr. Oakley at the newspaper to give me the next two weeks off for the Holidays, so there's no problem with it at all...! Now I'll be back in a bit; the doctor should be here any minute so behave...! Hell, why am I even telling you to behave, I know you won't listen to me... Anyway I'll be back ASTAT!"

Grace took a turn and left the room. The nurse walked over to Connor and took the thermometer he in his mouth (it was a pain not to move it). She gave it a look, nodding in approval.