Chapter 7: Grace's gifts

It was dark and very, very cold. The freeze of the air shriveled up Connor's spine, sending the creeping sensation to every inch of his body. He tried to warm himself up, rubbing his hands and arms together, but it was no use. He could see his own breath, as he panted desperately, gasping for oxygen he wasn't sure he was receiving.

Where was he? How had he gotten there?

And more importantly; how could he get out?

Very slowly and barely able to stand, he walked in no specific direction. Anywhere would be fine as long as it wasn't there. He must have been walking for minutes when he noticed something. A flickering white light that illuminated a small white bench against a blue wall. Connor headed that way and sat down, catching his breath.

He then looked up, and the mysterious dark place was no longer so. It was a hallway, very long and very stale. It had white lights like his aligned all over the ceiling, and there were several many other white benches with people all on them. The walls were aligned with white doors and crystal windows, concealing whatever was on the other side with shutters. The sounds of foreign sobs and whimpers and the smell of chloroform and sanitizer filled the air.

A hospital.

As soon as the realization of where he was had hit Connor, he felt the panic rise in his veins. He had to get out of there. He had to somehow leave that place, and not be followed. They would ask him what he was doing there, they would ask him what had happened...

He had to leave. He had to find Alexis and Mikey and then leave; he couldn't be there.

Once again he rose to his feet, and slowly walked along the large hallway. As he did, he watched the people waiting. Families and solitaires alike, all of them remained still and refused to leave the precinct. Connor watched and wondered. He wondered how they could possibly be in that room, still like statues. He wondered how they could stand the pungent smell in the air. He wondered how they could endure the sickness of that place. He wondered, but found no answers.

He walked, and to his ears arrived murmurs and whispers. What did they say? What did they want? Suddenly many eyeless stares were on him, as he heard the accusations through the silence...

That's him.

That's the boy.

How did he make it?

He could have died.

Perhaps he is dead.

How come? They were all crushed...

Connor refused to listen, and instead he focused on the end of the hallway. A large, wooden double door that separated that room from the rest of the world. Dreading the sole existence of that place he ran, hoping that on the other side he would reach the exit.

He crashed against the door and onto the floor he fell, noticing he was in another hallway, exactly like the last one. Only that this one was barely lit, and very empty. He couldn't see the end of the hallway this time. It extended into the darkness.

Suddenly, in the sepulchral silence that engulfed the place, a crooking screech could be heard from a door opening, and Connor saw one of the white doors that aligned the wall slightly ajar. He got up from the floor and, trembling from his toes to his teeth, walked inside the mysterious room.

It was a small rectangular room with two empty white beds. The sheets were well fixed, as if they hadn't even been used. There was an open window with white drapes, dancing to a cold breeze and a blinding light that belonged to the exterior. Connor had never felt more alone. Where was everyone? Why was he here? Whose room was this...?