Chapter 5: Call it a truce

This was ridiculous. No; it was beyond ridiculous. This was outrageous. Bizarre. Humiliating. Stupid, and definitely very useless. But he couldn't help it. Connor had said he'd go the stupid counseling and now, there he was, sitting down on the creepiest office he had ever been in, waiting for the poor soul that was given the dreadful chore that he was. People usually had better stuff to do on a Wednesday noon, but not Connor. This was his piece of the cake.

His eyes tried to avert the gazillion pictures that adorned every corner of the room, even the desk. In them there was a short, blonde haired, rather chubby woman with a taller guy with brown hair, both of them doing silly faces and looking ecstatic. The sole sight made Connor want to be sick. But far worse were the dog pictures: wherever you looked, there was this tiny dog looking back at you. Connor wasn't sure of the breed, but it reminded him of a big Chihuahua, and he wasn't sure if he liked that. This was one of those times that he thought to himself that if he had to choose between dealing with a crazy cat lady and a crazy dog lady, he would much rather go for the crazy cat lady. At least those he knew how to deal with, but crazy dog ladies? Quite a mystery indeed.

The air of Wednesday noon didn't seem too far off from most of the other days, except for the fact that Connor was meant to meet the guidance counselor that day, for the first time. Normally one would be nervous, but Connor had had his fair share of therapists in the past and he didn't expect it to be any different this time. Family issues, difficulty trusting others, not having a clear goal in life... The same repertoire they kept displaying for him would never change. In a way, it was good, because that meant there was nothing to be anxious about. And in a way, it fucking sucked.

The ticking dog-treat-shaped-clock on the wall announced that the counselor was ten minutes late. Connor hadn't bothered enough to notice the shape of the clock until that very moment, and he was convinced immediately after that this woman was beyond help.

And just as that thought crossed his mind, the office door was open and in was the blonde haired, rather chubby, perky woman with an orange dress and a yellow blouse. Connor wasn't a hundred percent certain, but he could almost swear she had a pink bow on her head.

-"I'm so sorry I'm late!"—she said, with an enthusiasm Connor did not envy one bit—"I had a run-in with some students arguing in the hall, kept me busy for quite a while... I see you've already taken a seat! That's good, that's good..."

The guidance counselor sat behind her desk, dug into a drawer and took out a pair of red-colored cat glasses, which she put on, drastically increasing her colorful appearance and freaking out Connor even more.

-"You must be Connor!"—she said, extending her hand—"I am guidance counselor Lisa Schwartz, but you can just call me Lisa, since we're going to be seeing one another a lot."

Connor didn't even flinch nor for one second considered shaking the counselor's hand, and it took her about a minute to notice and slowly pull away.

-"So, a little shy, I see..."—she told herself, fixing some papers on her desk and clearing her throat—"So, well. I've been told quite a lot about you! You've made quite an impression for attending this school just for two days."

Connor still wouldn't speak a word. He was beyond even pretending to care. However, there was a thing or two he didn't know about Lisa.

You see, Lisa had studied psychology in a very prestigious medical school in France. Over there she was quite well known in her faculty; the teachers loved her. She even graduated fourth of her class. After getting that diploma, she took another four years in education and specialized in secondary basic education. In short terms, she was psychologist turned high school teacher, and she had been around when it came to troubled teens. Connor was not the first and wouldn't be the last she would see, and she knew perfectly well how to handle a case such as his. The entire delicate exterior and the colorful scheme was nothing but the cover of what all the great educational minds around the world agreed to be one of the greatest people in the business.