Chapter 19: The birthday parties

Eighteen thoughts inside my head the night before my eighteenth birthday:

1. It's really rainy out here in Yule.

2. Rain is fucking overrated.

3. I should try to get Alexis a new rain coat.

4. Autumn is really overrated and people getting pumped over it are fucking annoying.

5. I don't want to have a party. I am going to a party anyway. Find the fucking sense in that.

6. I don't know why MGSK is doing this in the first place, he probably feels guilty.

7. It's really fucking cold.

8. I say fuck too much.

9. I don't want Awkward to give me a birthday present. Still, she probably will anyway. I owe her too much.

10. I wonder if Red remembers the other night.

11. I wonder if MGSK is thinking about the other other night.

12. I wonder if I will ever stop thinking about the other other night.

13. I can't stop thinking about the other other night.

14. I want to stop thinking about the other other night.

15. I don't want to celebrate my birthday tomorrow.

16. I don't feel like there's anything to celebrate.

17. I don't know how I am turning eighteen.

18. Where on earth are my siblings?

Connor felt his hand shaking slightly as he wrote that last sentence.

He closed his notebook and put it down, sighing deeply and then switching his sight towards the window, watching as the raindrops fell on it and listening to the thunder roar in the distance. The clock in Grace's living room ticked, signaling the proximity of midnight.

Connor was in the downstairs living room, sitting on his own by the window. He had left his bedroom after he was certain Mikey was sound asleep. He didn't want to stay up there, because there was no way in the world he'd be able to get any rest. He was too anxious, too nervous. Not in a good way, like one would be when they're knowing that their birthday is coming soon, but more in an exhausting way. Like it's something you aren't looking forward to, and you can't do much about it.

Connor's memories of his family had been buried deep down for so many years, they had never been a problem around his birthday. He would just live through the day like every other one, and then life went on. This year it was different. All the things that had been going down in the last month and half had already triggered so much, and too many things had come back all at once. Before, he wouldn't have had any problem just not caring about September twelve. Now, he dreaded the thought of the day. He dreaded it to the core.

He took a look at the wrinkled picture of his family which he had taken downstairs with him. His parents both looked so happy, smiling widely at the camera with their four children. Those two people he saw were not the same two people who died in the car crash ten years ago. Those two people he saw had no idea they would grow apart even more, and eventually be so unhappy with each other in just a few months that they wouldn't stand being in the same room. But they did, even to the end. Even to the last minute before the truck crashed against their car.

The clock in the living room ranged thrice, signaling midnight.

A cold feeling rushed down his spine.