Chapter 10: Mr. Cole's science project

Usually, whenever Ms. Taylor, or Brittany, like she insisted Connor and Alexis to call her (there was something about not being married yet that seemed to bug her off a tad too much), it meant bad or very bad news. The two of them had arranged a ritual of sorts to deal with such times. Involuntarily, that is.

The first one to fret would be Alexis, like usual. She would normally do her homework as soon as she got back from school into the foster home, but as soon as the news that Ms. Taylor-or Brittany, was arriving, she would push it all aside and instead walk around the house without talking to anyone or doing anything at all. Her red beanie which she never took off for anything in the world would collect dust as she paced around aimlessly trying to seek out some sort of stress relief. Then, Connor would notice, and in attempts to calm her down he would take her to the kitchen and prepare her a glass of warm milk. Even if they hadn't had any supper yet. Consequently, Connor would be stressed out because he hates all forms of dairy.

Then, of course, it would be time to eat, and Alexis would eat from stress as if she had skipped the meals of the entire week. While Connor, on the other hand, would be physically unable to even grazing his plate. After whoever was in charge grew tired from trying to make him it, the two of them would be sent to their rooms to be put to bed. Alexis would fall right away from exhaustion of who knows what, while Connor wouldn't be able to sleep. At all.

On the next morning, he would be up first before anyone else, already packing his bags. He was already all too used to this entire process, and he had by no means any interest in delaying the inevitable. Alexis would run into him packing, break down and cry, and he would try to comfort her. And then, Ms. Taylor-Brittany, would arrive, and before she even had the chance to say hello, the two of them would already be outside the house and inside the car that would drive them to the next bus station, or the next house, or the next train.

All of it had become a skit the three of them had learned well.

But, that Saturday morning Connor and Alexis had forgotten that Ms. Taylor was going to visit them at Grace's house. And they surely were beyond shocked to find her having a nice cup of tea with Grace in their living room, wearing her trademark floral blouse, red leather gloves, white pants and yellow heels which would look ridiculous on any grown woman but that on her, for some reason nobody can explain, looked not only natural but astounding. She wore her black wavy hair loose, except for a bright red headband that highlighted her blue eyes and her infectious smile.

She and Grace seemed to be having the most naturally pleasant conversation ever. Even Grace, who had to be the single most awkward adult Connor had ever seen in his entire life, seemed to be more at ease when around Brittany. Well, that was the effect she usually had on people.

-"Oh, kids!"—Grace said, smiling from ear to ear, still in her pajamas—"I didn't hear you two get up!"

It took a couple of seconds for both Connor and Alexis to react to Grace's greetings, realizing they were both still in their pajamas as well and were even staring blankly at Brittany like she was some sort of wood sprite.

-"Connor! Alexis!"—Brittany greeted from her seat at the fancy cushioned chair—"I'm glad to see the two of you! Look how much you've grown!"

Connor just nodded, whilst Alexis tried to come up with a proper greeting.

-"G-G-Good to see you t-too, Ms. Taylor..."—she stuttered, earning an awkward glance from Grace—"We... sort of... forgot you were c-coming today..."

-"... Yeah..."—Connor said—"We're sorry. We'll go get changed..."

-"Oh, nonsense!"—Brittany called, stopping them from going back upstairs—"Please don't be bothered by my presence; I'm on my way downtown and I promise I won't take any of your time. But Connor I'm glad you're here! There's something Grace and I need to talk about with you."