Chapter 31: Trick-or-Treat

Halloween.

The single most dreaded night of his year was already on Connor's calendar, marking the all too expected Saturday, October 31st for the common folk of Yule Town. If there had been pumpkins displayed on gardens before, now it was corn mazes, skeletons and spider webs, combined with a colorful arrangement of scarecrows and various other dolls that added festivity to the air. Grace's house was well adorned; to the best of her capacity. They had a couple of large black cooking pots displayed on the garden, surrounded by pumpkins and mouse plush dolls that were a little too cute, since the store was out of rats. Mikey and Luke had gotten their hands on a rookie smoke machine to make it seem as if the pots were filled with witch potion. Naturally they spent most of the afternoon of the Friday before trying to make it work, just to eventually breaking it in the process. Alexis and Connor had helped Grace with fashioning a small scarecrow with a cowboy's hat, a few strings of hay and old clothes that Grace kept in her wardrobe and hadn't worn for years. So if you can picture a hay man wearing a dress from the eighties and with what may or may not be a cabbage for a head, you'd be spot on.

That morning when he woke up from some sort of noise coming from downstairs, Connor wasn't sure what to expect. Mikey wasn't in the room and all he could think of what that there was a party of some sort that was making such a noise. Or else what could the music be for? Turns out, Alexis had gone far and out with Grace's offer of getting her a Halloween costume, a lot more than what Connor had expected.

How much more is that?

-"You HAVE to wear it!"

-"No I DON'T!"

-"But I got it just for you! Do you have any idea how hard it was to pick the perfect one!?"

-"Oh, please, by all means; do enlighten me on how is this the perfect one."

-"How is it not!? Look at it!"

Alexis pulled up the suit for display so that Connor would see it. From afar it probably would've looked like any other tuxedo asides the unusual purple and violet coloring, but up close the alterations were unmistakable. The fabric wasn't that for a suit but for a costume, the tie was obviously fake and then there was the... other thing.

-"It has a tail."—Connor said, dragging the words with his voice—"I don't even understand what the hell it's supposed to be, but the wretched thing has a tail."

And it was true; from the costume's pants sprouted a long, purple and black striped tail that wiggled in the air. Connor had tried his best to understand what the entire outfit was supposed to be, but from seeing that alone he knew he didn't want to know.

-"Oh! It's just because it's incomplete! Let me find the headset... where on earth... oh, here it is!"

It was funny watching Alexis searching for stuff in the pile of costume parts she had left on Grace's living room couch, especially with her being dressed up as a witch an all. A proper witch this time, and not just plain black clothing like she had been every year. Grace had bought her the witch costume, with hat and all, of a pretty red and black assignment of colors, equipped with a wooden broomstick to carry around. Below the pointy hat she was wearing for it though, was still the red beanie she never took off, no matter what.

However, when she found what she was looking for, and showed it to Connor, he could feel his entire face going pale and his expression extremely annoyed.

-"... Cat ears."—he simply said, observing the headset Alexis was showing him—"The costume... comes with cat ears."

-"Well of course it has cat ears!"—Alexis exclaimed—"It's a Cheshire cat costume! Only that it's... well, fancy!"