Chapter 49: The trial of the Queen of Hearts

-"... I have some money, Jim still gives me allowances, and all... A-And I... I may have asked an old friend to get me an interstate bus ticket. I can't because I'm underage, but I look taller than sixteen so the only problem was the ID... and well, I still keep in touch with some of the kids from back in the foster kid days... He's not into anything sketchy, I promise! It's just... well, hard times... And... And after I got the tickets I asked around to another of my friends who actually works in the foster system. He did some digging, and came around with your address... It was all a last minute thing, and somehow he got it yesterday... Thankfully, or else I wouldn't have made it here... I... I didn't tell Nicola I was coming because, well... I'm... I'm not really sure..."

Brandon made a brief pause to take a sip from the cup of hot chocolate he held in his hands. Grace had given it to him, along with the blanket he had over his shoulders, the second she saw he was dripping wet after entering the house. He had been travelling with rather light clothing for the cold weather outside, not to mention the snow, so she was convinced he was about to catch a cold.

Currently, Brandon was sitting down in Grace's dining room table, joined by Connor, who sat right across from him, Alexis, Mikey and Grace to the sides. Chester was standing against the kitchen counter, listening as well. Even Goose was sitting patiently on the floor, wigging her tail and with her tongue out.

After Brandon placed the cup on the table once again, he took a deep breath and went on speaking, not daring yet to meet his brother's gaze.

-"... I just... I... I felt... Terrible, for the way I acted... The other night..."

And then, Brandon finally looked at his brother, his eyes like two crystals bound to shatter at the slightest touch. Filled with guilt, he was barely managing to get the words out.

-"... I needed to see you... One more time."

Everyone was dead silent, expecting for Connor's response. Alexis was playing with her fingers anxiously, and Mikey was giving her a side hug to help calm her nerves a bit. Grace was biting her lower lip listening to Brandon, while at the same time she turned over towards Connor to see how he was taking all of this. Chester watched still.

Connor didn't say anything. Instead, he stood up from his chair, and walked all the way over to were Brandon was sitting, and placed his arms around him, leaving the latter at a loss of words. Brandon's look of surprise in his face could only be compared to Grace's, who was struggling not to yell out of joy. Alexis and Mikey were smiling to one another, and Goose barked in approval.

Connor sighed, without letting go of the hug.

-"I already told you,"—he said calmly—"there is nothing to forgive."

Finally he let go, and squatted next to Brandon, and looked at him with a heartfelt smile.

-"I'm just so, so happy...!"—Connor confessed—"All these years I was wrong. I... I thought that... That you hated me, and blamed me for what happened to mom and dad..."

-"W-What!? N-No! I-I would never!"—Brandon denied, shaking his head, evidently nervous—"I never blamed you...! Just, the night... The night they took me away, they—I didn't understand! I didn't understand what was going on, and by the time I realized, it was already too late, and...! And at the cemetery, after so many years, you must understand—"

-"I understand."—Connor said, placing his hands on his brother's arms to reassure him that he wasn't accusing Brandon of anything—"I was mistaken, Brandon. I lived thinking that I had wronged you. And that you resented me for it, and wouldn't ever forgive me..."