Chapter 14: "Don't ask"

"... And who do you think you are?

running 'round, leaving scars

collecting your jar of hearts,

and tearing love apart?

You're gonna catch a cold

from the ice inside your soul

so don't come back for me...!

Who do you think you are...?"

-"... Hey... listening... at all...!?"

Connor frowned in his nap, not opening his eyes and switching positions on his seat. His phone had been on shuffle for about an hour and half, and the music that played on his headphones had been changing constantly, but he hadn't noticed so far. He was doing his best to ignore the sounds of the ruckus around him, and being pretty good at it.

-"... Dude... already... there... off...!"

Eventually, ignoring Joe's yelling voice three inches away from his ears became an impossible task. With a dozy head from his light sleep, Connor opened his eyes, yawned and stretched his arms, almost hitting Joe in the process, who was hovering above him from his place in the backseat. Connor removed his tiny headphones and turned around to face him with a mocking smirk.

-"Dude...!"—Joe complained—"You almost hit me!"

-"Shocker."

Connor's eyes went adjusting little by little to the lightning, and he then remembered he was in the bus on the way to Lake Yule Park with the rest of his class. He took a glance to his left, and saw Lilly peacefully snoring with a drool of saliva down her chin. Had she been Alexis, she'd probably be awake already, way before him.

Caspar, who sat behind him next to Joe, was up already as well, and from the look on his face, quite shocked that his bag of gummi bears for the trip was empty all of the sudden. Connor assumed Lilly had been joking when she said he took one of those for long bus rides, but as it turns out, Caspar is that childish.

-"Hey...!"—Joe complained as if offended by Connor's dry response.

-"Why did you wake me up...?"

-"See for yourself, bloody asshole!"

Connor obliged, and turned to his right and looked through the window.

The wet-from-the-rain road was gone, and instead there was an earth track that seemed to dwell into the forest. The sky announced it was around five in the afternoon, which meant they had been on the road for two hours. They had arrived to their stop.

-"We should leave the bus."—Joe said—"It's a long walk, I hear."

Joe went back unto his seat, and Connor turned to Lilly. He started shaking her slightly, not wanting to frighten her.

-"Lilly... Lilly, we're here..."

Lilly let out her last snore, before finishing with a graceful snort that woke her up all of the sudden, like an old man would. It was pretty funny, with her baseball cap not being able to hide how messy her hair was being at the time. She started darting her eyes around for a moment, a little panicked on where she was, but as soon as her eyes landed on Connor she relaxed.

-"Here already...?"

-"Yeah."—Connor answered just as bitter.

-"Awe, man..."—Lilly started—"I was just having the craziest dream... I was like being chased by tigers or somethin', and then Dwayne Johnson pops up and..."