Chapter 56

Heath's Pov

I stand under the hot spray of the lockerrooms shower as the rest of the team cheer for the victory of tonight's game. The heat of the steam releasing the stress and soreness from how hard I played tonight.

I can honestly say we all played our hearts out, giving it our all. The other team didn't stand a chance. After speaking to both of the scouts that came to tonight's game. Both of them hinting at that the upcoming spring I could find myself along the lines of possibly getting drafting to play for their schools during the fall.

The odds were highly in my favor after wining tonight's game. The team are throwing a party in celebration, but Stevie and guys offered to do what I wanted.

Even though I am happy that we won. I just really wanted something low key surrounded by the people I care about. So I decided to have a small after party at V's Diner.

The locker room, finally emptying, "Yo Rios good game tonight." One of my teammates congratulates me as he swings his gym bag over his shoulders before walking out the door.

Other compliments of tonight's game are continuous as I get dressed. My thoughts on my impending future as I think about which school I will most likely play for, and how this relationship with Stevie, and the guys will play out after graduation.

Are we to do long distance? In reality those odds are not good. Most long distance relationships end in the first three months. Are we to go our separate ways? Even though tonight is a victory it just means more unanswered questions and thoughts of my future, and the possibility that the group of people I love might not be in those plans.

An uncomfortable emotion surges forward as I think on what to do about this complicated issue on my future.

"You know this is always how I find you after every game. Lost in your head." Stevie's humorous voice clearing my fears of the future. Because the thought of leaving her and everything we built turning to dust, makes me want to grab her in my arms, and never let her go.

I smile as I turn my full attention on her. She always seems to brighten my mood. Like a rainbow after a raining day. She is a perfect solution to clear my worries away.

She comes to stand infront of me as I sit on the bench. My face burying into her waist. Her hands automatically going to stroke the strands of my hair. Just the feel of her, easing the tension in my head as I breathe in the intoxicating scent of her honeysuckle fragrance, sweet and light. The aroma calming my anxious fears away.

I wrap my arms around her waist hugging her too me. Just needing to feel her.

She must sense the overwhelming feelings I have set as I cling to her. "Hey, what's wrong? I thought you would be in better spirits. You won tonight. Isn't that a good thing?"

Her confusions clear in her questions. Yet I know it should be a good thing, and I am glad we won. It's just the idea of not having her scares me more then I thought it would.

I have never felt this way about another person before. My emotions, swirling inside me like a thick syrup, coating my insides, hurting as a knot forms in my belly. The whole thing uncomfortable and unfamiliar.

"I am happy Stevie. This is huge for my future. A way for me to get out of this town." The but is left unsaid as my statement lingers unfinished.

Her gentle hands come to cup my face as she lifts me up to peer up at her. I can never understand how I got so lucky to have someone as compassionate and understanding as her.

She never made me feel like I wasn't good enough. And being discarded and thrown away like I was never enough started making me believe maybe I was indeed the problem.