Prologue

Roseanne's POV

My order was wrong.

I didn't particularly like to tell the workers and usually ate it on any other day; today though, I couldn't because I was allergic to one of the ingredients and I'd prefer to complain than end up in the hospital with a swollen throat.

And also save myself the embarrassment of having my face plastered on paparazzi media swollen and alarmingly red.

The place was packed and busy, waiters would pass by in a hurry with plates stacked on their arms, cups wrapped in between their fingers and I couldn't speak up enough to catch their attention. A simple hand raised and 'excuse me' wasn't cutting it.

Eventually a beautiful girl walked out of the back area— kitchen area, I assume, wearing an apron on her lower half, a black chefs shirt and a chefs beanie which fit snuggly on her voluminous hair.

She made eye contact at the perfect time and I used that to my advantage to wave, not removing my gaze from her. For a second she seemed confused by the way she looked behind her and then pointed at her chest. I nodded to reassure her that I wanted her to come and slowly she slid across the floor dodging the mayhem caused by both customers trying to get seated and employees serving those already seated.

Without hesitation I began explaining that my order was wrong and that I was allergic to the food.

I didn't receive a response though.

Instead, she rubbed her chest with a closed fist and began signing other things until her finger landed on a pin she wore on her chefs shirt which said, "I'm Deaf."

Embarrassed, I definitely felt it because I should've noticed it along with the other several pins including a pride pin, a woman's rights pin and other mores that I didn't get to see before she tried to walk away. Again, tried.

At this point I didn't care about my order, I could always bring it to Alice who is allergic to nothing and inhales food like a vacuum. I wanted to apologize because I recognized that she had said sorry in the beginning by circling her chest with a closed fist.

She gave me a smile and tried to walk away once again until I stopped her once more. I grabbed my phone out and clicked on my notes app.

"You're beautiful,I would love to have your number and take you out on a date."

Bold for a girl who couldn't speak loud enough to catch the waiters' attention.