Chapter 21:News

It's been a while since I've hung out with Rosie's mom and Alice. It only feels fair that although I couldn't do the dinner date at my restaurant because I had other plans involving my office, so I invited them over.

Without Rosie's knowledge.

It was also fair because she's done the same things a couple of times like the time I was looking for my body serum that Mike took into the guest room and her friend Ashley was sitting in our living room where a clear view of the stairs was—meaning she got a full view of me in lingerie. She teases me about it and I still feel embarrassed but I know teasing is a way of her hiding her jealousy that someone else got to see me in her favorite set of lingerie.

"Mhmm that makes sense, well since these laws are within state legislation and the state says that if a fence needs to be repaired that both civilians sharing said fence need to split the cost." I looked at the words attentively, "As for the tree, unfortunately, your neighbor did have full legal title and if you guys try to fight it you'll only end up paying three times the value of that tree." I rolled my eyes and threw my hands in the air.

"What are you watching?" Alice asked as she came up to me, entering my home without my knowledge and plopping down next to me.

"This rom-com show but the acting is really bad, I think I can do better. Also, laws are really stupid because clearly, the branches were on that lady's side!" I expressed my rage.

She grabbed my remote and ran the show back, "It is dumb, but technically that tree was in her neighbor's yard so she owns all of the tree."

"It's a tree!" But it wasn't a tree after all—in fact, I wasn't sure why I was so pressed about this part of the show when the bigger issue was the guy cheating. Also, I guess I would be upset if my tree's branches were cut off by my neighbor.

She paused the show to take my rage off a tree and tree laws to ask me where Rosie was but I myself didn't know since it was only 11 am and she hadn't exited the room. I called her down for breakfast and left her alone once I realized she was showering. That was 2 hours ago and I got so caught up with this show that I totally forgot her food was still on the island and probably as cold as fresh snow.

I knew that she was probably singing and was caught up with that so I let her be and made my way to the kitchen where her mom was probably stocking our fridge which wasn't needed anymore but it was a habit of hers that I'd begged her to stop when she was taking care of me. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful but now both my fridge and pantry are about to have their jeans' buttons fly off.

I saw the older lady tapping her fingers on the counter as she looked at a piece of paper with her glasses resting on her nose bridge; it was Rosie's mail that she opened, "eomma what did I tell you about opening your adult daughters' mail?"

Her mom began going off on a bothered rant and her eyebrows furrowed with anger, her finger pointing at every area that held air. I looked over to Alice in hopes of being included in the very obviously important conversation. Both Alice and her mom went at it for a while so decided to snack on the cold breakfast that still sat on the counter, being the definition of minding my business—until I was included.

Alice tapped my shoulder and I looked up stealing one more bite, "How long has Rosie been in your house? Like staying here back to back and how much of her clothes is in your closet?" It was a weird and very sudden question that I couldn't connect the lines with anything, which only made my curiosity grow about what the sheet of paper held.

"I don't know...it's been a long time and almost a whole side of my closet—which I don't mind I didn't occupy it, to begin with." I grabbed a napkin and wiped my fingers, "why?"