Chapter 20:Canceled Plans

Rummy was getting settled in and was having the best time of her life with Hank. Rummy was a lot more playful than I imagined which was not only great for me but for Hank who loved to play—I'm sure he was pretty upset that she couldn't play ball with him. So I did.

He brought his tennis ball back with a pant and dropped it in front of me, inching it closer to me with his nose. Grabbing the ball I threw it across the yard and viewed it as he happily rocketed to get it.

"Rummy is asleep and out." Roseanne entered the backyard with two margarita glasses and reached the red one out to me. She looked like a stressed mother after a long day of dealing with the kids—her hair was all over the place but not to the point where she looked unkept and the only thing on her face was her chapstick.

I took a sip and released a delighted moan, "This is great but I really should drink less." I expressed and took another sip through the large straw. This time Hank brought back a stick and before I could throw it he ran back, picked something else up, and brought it back. A smaller stick. "For Rummy?" I asked Hank and he just bowed. "Is he whining right now?" I asked Rosie.

"Yes, he is." She chuckled and moved the slush around her glass with the white jumbo straw.

I set the glass down, "I think I'm going to go back to the restaurant tomorrow. I want to start working again and cook." I suddenly revealed

"Will you be alright?" She asked.

"I hope." Was all I said before I slightly skewed the conversation, "I was thinking, maybe we should invite your family to the restaurant, after all, I owe them my whole life."

"Sounds perfect love, I'm sure they'll be excited about the whole experience and getting fed by you."

"I'm glad—can you let them know so we can set up a date?" She nodded in response and gave me a thumbs up, "Is Rosanno gonna be there?"

She snorted, "Yeah he is...as a waiter I mean that's his job."

"Well, I hope he doesn't forget the wine this time. Maybe I'll give him a sexy tip after." I winked at her.

——

"You look great love don't worry." Roseanne cheered me on as she was on the bed kicking her feet in the air as her hands supported her head. Adoration tainting her pupils. To add to my audience, Rummy who loved the stick Hank gifted her was laying at the bottom level of her cat tree flicking the rope that was hanging from it, meanwhile, Hank was beside Rosie staring at me through the mirror.

I continued to check my bandanna, that my chef's shirt was crisp, and that I was pretty. It felt no different from the first day I opened—or the day the governor came to hand me a pretty certificate and shook my hand in front of cameras.

"Are you sure you don't need like an extra cook or something?"

"Do you know how to cook?" I asked the girl who was puffing up her cheeks like I didn't get her 'I'm bored' message since earlier when she began begging to come with me.

She sighed and flipped to her back, "I can cook a mean steak, just ask Lisa."

"I hate that I have to ask her and haven't had it myself. You barely passed the eggs and bacon test that I don't have an ounce in me to believe that." I joked.

She has cooked for me, breakfast to be more specific, and it was delicious but she's never done anything more elaborated out of the 5 am-12 pm window. A pout formed as I thought of that; I don't want to ask Lisa I want to try it myself. I shrugged the thought off meanwhile before I decided that I was ready to head out.