Chapter 1

Zoey p.o.v

"As the darkness passes to a glorious morning, dear God go with me everywhere and let your blessings be upon me. Amen." I said a quick prayer and did the cross sign.

I picked up my phone from the night stand and unlocked it. As always, there is a message waiting to be read.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MY LOVE. It reads. From a hidden number.

This has always happened on my birthday every year, for a couple of years now. I have stopped letting it disturb my peace of mind.

I pick myself up from my bed and head to the restroom to get ready for work. It's still early. I might as well take my time while getting ready.

"Good morning, mom." I greeted my mother as I entered the kitchen. I kissed her on both cheeks.

"Good morning, my dear." I bent down a little for her to place a kiss on my head. "Do you have to go to the office today?" Mom whines, childishly pouting her lips.

"Of course, mom. If it were up to me, I would stay home and spend the day with you. But I'm helpless." I shrugged and picked up the mug of hot chocolate I always drink in the morning. To say I have the best mom in the world would be an understatement. She is the best of the best.

She is both my protector, my confidant, and my best friend. Always making sure I have everything I need to start my day.

"But it's your birthday today, can't those bosses of yours grant you a day off?" She pressed, I rolled my eyes and made my way to the tiny dining table at the side of the kitchen.

My food is already on the table waiting for me to come and devour it.

"You haven't asked for office leave once since you started this job, and it has been a year now. Why can't your boss be reasonable?" Mom grumbled, she grumpily drops onto the seat opposite mine.

"Mom, it's not their fault either. A direct order was made from the top that everyone, irrespective of your position, must be present today as the owner of the company is coming." I cut a big piece of pancake in my mouth, eyeing my mom as she is still not satisfied with the reason.

"So what? You can skip and nobody will notice with over a hundred employees." I gave my mom an are you serious look, which she dismissed.

"This is the first time the big boss has come to our company since he bought this company. That should be a year ago as well, when I was still an intern. Today's event will determine if many of us will stay or not."

"Okay, fine, I understand. You can stop defending them." She reluctantly agreed, I was about to jump for joy when she cut me off.

"But..." My smile dimmed.

She stared at my face for a moment before she continued.

"You must be back before six," she said with a smile.

"Okay, mom." I went around the table and hugged her.

"I should get going. I don't want to be late today of all days," I said while I packed up my bag.

"But you didn't even eat enough to last you for the day." She complained.

"Knowing you, mom, my lunch flask is in my bag." I grinned at the look on her face, skipped my way to the front door, and out of the house.

I quickly made my way to the office, escaping the morning sun. Though the sun is not yet harsh, it still left my skin dry. Luckily, I don't have to hail a cab to work every day, the company building is a ten-minute walk from my home.