Chapter 28

Zoey p.o.v

There was a thin line between the feeling of love and hatred. My feelings for Marco dwell somewhere between both.

For the longest period, I'd thought I had forgotten him, but I managed to convince myself that I was over him. I tried to ignore it, I tried to ignore him.

Then, out of nowhere, he decided to make his return. Without a word or any notice, he just popped up out of nowhere and acted as if we were never apart.

His arrogance frustrated me as much as his controlling act did.

A burden of guilty conscience rested on my shoulders, while a look of disappointment was written across my deep scowling face. I watched as the doctor carefully dressed Marco's wound and gave the maids instructions on how to properly take care of it daily.

I wasn't looking forward to it. The moment that, everyone left the room, not before giving the both of us strange looks. We were left alone in my bedroom since he bluntly refused to have them take him to his room.

Marco was half lying, half sitting up in the bed, while I was standing at it's feet. If a look could kill, neither of us would still be breathing.

“Come here.” Breaking the silence, Marco urged me forward to come next to him on the bed.

His eyebrows drew up, and his eyes narrowed when I didn't move an inch. A part of me was growing uneasy seeing him dissatisfied.

Why? I wasn't sure, either.

My lips came together, and I pursed them into a thin line. I don't know where to begin, to yell at him or apologize.

“I didn't mean to.” I said regretfully instead, “The kick, I didn't mean to kick you that hard.”

“You didn't, I already had a wound there.” He said softly and weakly.

A wound? I thought as much, I shook my head inwardly.

I moved closer toward the bed, stopping at the side where Marco was lying down.

“Where have you been?” I blurted out, it was my turn to interrogate him.

“Paris.” He replied swiftly. “I was working.” He added almost defensively with a low sigh.

I scoffed, it wasn't my business what he was doing over there. He can whore around with different girls there for all I care.

Liar, my subconscious mocked me.

“How did you get that,” I asked curiously once my eyes landed on his stomach that was now protectively wrapped with bandages.

“Nothing you should bother about.” He said simply. Of course, this time I didn't stop the scoff that escape my throat.

“Yeah right.” I hissed.

“Baby, I am exhausted and in a lot of pain.” He said almost dramatically, “Can we not do this right now?”

I blinked twice, I gulped in a huge amount of breath. I took a threatening step forward but paused and thought about his request for a while.

I gave a small nod to him. A knock sounded on the door before it opened to reveal a maid.

She came in with her head down and shivering in fear as she left our dinner and bolt out of the room.

•••

Marco was half asleep by the time I was done feeding the both of us. I stood up and turned on my heel, but a hand on my wrist stops me. The next thing I knew, I was being tugged down with too much force to fight against.

I fell back on the bed with a small squeak.

I turn my head to Marco, who's already staring at me with hooded eyes.

“I was going to go to one of the guest rooms,” I explained lamely, even though he was the one who stopped me from leaving.

“Stay with me, please.” He says, and I melted. I relaxed against him, his hand landed on my hip and turned me to my side. The bed shifts under his weight, and then his chest presses slightly against my back.

His nose slowly slid into the crook of my neck, and warmth immediately pooled between my thighs. Especially when he pushes a leg between both of mine, the hard muscle of his thigh rubs against my aching centre.

He keeps one strong hand on my hip that silently dares me to leave his side. The tight grip doesn't loosen up, even as minutes pass and his breathing gradually evens out again.

He's asleep.

I carefully pushed forward and turned off the lamp, it didn't take long before I wasn't knocked out cold.