Chapter 20

Zoey p.o.v

I thought after the gunshot comes to the agonizing pain, but I didn't feel anything. Nothing at all, not even a slight ache or a pang of pain.

Nothing.

I opened my eyes, ready myself to see the bullet hole, maybe I am going to die a painless death. But I saw a nervous boy, looking around confused.

It spiked my interest when I didn't see any wounds on my body. I could swear I heard the sound of a gunshot, surely my ears weren't deceiving me.

The gun sound came again, and this time was accompanied by the sound of my name.

“Zoey!” I've never heard Marco's voice more restrained, sounded a mixture of urgency and fear. Oh my goodness, Marco is here, a smile broke on my face only to dim a minute later.

Oh, no! Marco can't meet this kid here, he'll kill him undoubtedly. I turned to the boy, who looked more panicked, cursing under his breath.

His hands were shaking and his eyes darted around, searching for where the sound was coming from.

“You have to leave, now!” I told him, snapping his attention to me, he looked conflicted. Maybe because he almost killed me a while ago, but now I'm helping get out of here alive.

“You should leave before he gets here, or he'll kill you,” I said with urgency. I can't let him die, if this is the only thing I could do for their family, so be it. I've already almost killed his elder brother, and I know just who is responsible.

“Go now,” I yelled at him, snapping him out of his dazed. He nods at me and immediately runs off in the opposite direction of Marco's voice.

He wasn't far gone when Marco emerged from the bush, he aimed his gun at the boy and I did the one thing I never thought I could do. I ran in front of the gun and stood there, blocking the boy from Marco's view.

“Move.” I shook my head stubbornly.

“I said fucking move, Zoey.” I still stood my ground.

“No,” I replied. He reluctantly lowered his gun and looked away in annoyance.

I ran to him, embracing him as if my life was depended on it. He returned my hug with an equal amount of emotion or more. I sobbed badly against his chest, I cried from the fear of dying without living a life of fulfilment.

I cried because I caused someone to almost lose their lives, and I forced the other to commit a crime that would have got him killed as well. Furthermore, I cried because Marco came for me, I don't know how he found out I was in danger, but I'm grateful he didn't leave me alone.

“Let's go.” Marco broke the hug, holding my body close to his, we walked to where he parked his car. He opened the door for me, I got in quietly, and he went to his side.

“Thank you,” I said once we started moving. “For saving me,” I added.

“I would do that all over again, even at the cost of my life, Zoey. You mean more to me than you know.” He grunted, he held my gaze and I could see all the feelings in his eyes.

His love, his care, his possessiveness, his passion, his fear, his protectiveness, everything was on full display. As if he wanted me to see them, I choked back a cry.

I don't know if I'm considered selfish, but I can't just get over the fact that he hurt me in the past. Why would he do that when he has these feelings for me, do you hurt the person you love just because you feel like it?

No, I don't think so.

I looked away, blinking back the tears and swallowing harshly. I'm eternally grateful for what he did for me, I'm indebted to him even, but I can't overlook our past.