Chapter 26

Zoey p.o.v

I was bewildered and lost. Different thoughts clashes in my skull, I couldn't pinpoint any thought that was going through my head. They were rapid and blurry, but I am aware of how scared I was.

I flinch at the sound of a door slamming shut, effectively snapping me from the dazed. I was unable to bring myself to look at the entrance door, scared that it might be the man.

Light footsteps approached me, I didn't tense up as the sound of the footsteps was that of a female. To prove my point, Camilla appeared before me. I relaxed a bit, I didn't want her to start questioning why I was tensed, I mentally waited for Isabella to appear beside her.

“Where is Isabella?” I asked when I noticed she wasn't there.

Why did Camilla come alone, that's unlikely for them to pay me a visit without the other?

“At home, stalling Marco,” Camilla announced. My body went into overdrive, tightening at the mention of Marco's arrival.

He's most likely going to be pissed with me. Since I stubbornly went ahead and got a job when I was told not.

I shouldn't be scared of Marco's reaction, this is my life and I should take responsibility and make decisions for myself. Even though I had the right to make my own decisions, I still waited for Marco to come back, so I can convince him to let me work as per Camilla's request.

Until a week ago, when hasn't come back from his business trip, so I've been told. I decided it was enough of me waiting, and I took this job. But why am I scared, why am I nervous about what his reaction would be?

“It's only a matter of time before he discovers you are not home and comes looking for you. And I don't think Isabella can stall him for long, we need to leave.”, Camilla said, sounding urgent.

“I have work, Camilla.” I rolled my eyes, even if he was going to be mad. He can't keep controlling me, he has to come to terms with me always going against him if he wants me to stay in his house.

“You won't in the next five minutes and so is your boss, he'll lose this place if Marco gets here.” She wasn't kidding about that, I might not know what he will do if he's angry, but I'm certain it won't be good.

My boss's door slammed open, interrupting me. Mr. White came out, jogging to us.

“I'm sorry Zoey, you are one of my promising employees I had, but I had to let you go.” He was slightly breathless as he spoke and was visibly trembling.

As much as I wanted to go against Marco's demand, I didn't want to have an innocent person like Mr. White in trouble. Especially not with Marco.

I didn't bother with concealing my anger as I pulled the apron around my waist, slammed it on the table, and marched out. I was fuming, I bet my face will be red as tomatoes.

I fist my hands, keeping them from shaking because of the rage boiling inside me. My heart rate sped up, and my mind went a thousand miles per second.

I wanted to yell out my lungs or hit something, anything, or Marco. Anything to release this amount of rage from me.

Camilla was close behind, before precipitously stepping around me and leading me to the car pack in front of the restaurant. The minute we settled in, the driver sped off.

It wasn't long before we arrived at the house, as much as I dread coming down from this car. And facing Marco, I had to put a stop to all this shit.

I came down from the car and made my way to the house, totally not expecting the scene awaiting me. I second I stepped foot into the living room, I froze. Taking off guard.