Chapter 8

Author p.o.v

Marco came out of his room, dressed in his usual designer suit, ready for the day. He soundlessly walked down the hall, his feet were light on the ground, expertly trained to move without making a sound.

The sound of his phone ring echoed around him. He groaned when he saw who was calling him.

"This woman just won't let me off the hook. " He murmured to himself before receiving the call.

"Good morning, mom." He greeted her softly. Marco may be mighty and fearless to the world, but he is just a big softy when it comes to the women in his family. Especially his mom, Ava Alfonso.

He could move the earth if she told him to.

"I heard you brought someone to your home." She didn't bother with the formalities, going straight to the point. Marco eyed Lucas, who had appeared beside him.

Lucas was his father's most trusted man, until he married Kara Alfonso. Marco's aunt, and became his uncle. His father, Vincenzo, ordered Lucas to be Marco's guide and help him to manage the empire.

But Marco personally thinks Lucas was placed to work with him for his mom to get information about his personal life.

"Mom, is that why you called me so early in the morning?" He asked back, trying to avoid his mom's question.

"Yeah? Maybe if you didn't waste so much time and got back with her early, I wouldn't be bugging you." Marco groaned hearing his mom's words. This had been their conversation lately.

At some point, his mom stopped talking to him because of this same issue. That was the most horrible time in his life.

"It's all a process mom, I promise I will bring her to you soon." Marco promised, knowing that would ease his mom for the time being.

"Okay darling, and come home soon. I missed my boy, I haven't seen you in two weeks dude." His mom whined on the phone. He heard his dad grunt in the background immediately, knowing his mom must be pouting and using her puppy eyes.

These things always got his dad on edge.

"Mom, I'm thirty minutes away." He took his seat at the dining table, his maid had already set his food ready.

"Yet you forbid us from visiting and refuse to visit us as well." His mom complained.

He was forbidden them from visiting because they would turn his peaceful house into a noisy park.

"Mom I have to go, I will talk to you later." He hung up without waiting for her reply, he didn't want his dad to interrupt and order him to do his mom's biding.

Those duo are a handful to handle.

He dropped the phone and began his breakfast.

"The head of HR department called." Lucas spoke, sitting beside Marco and eating his breakfast.

"What for?" Marco replied.

"Someone submitted a resignation letter." Lucas sighed.

"Tell them to approve it." Marco instructed, without blinking an eyelash. Lucas stared at him before he shook his head, knowing Marco would flip when he heard about who had submitted that letter.

"You might want to hear who that person is." Lucas responded with a smug look on, Marco nodded for him to continue.

"It is Zoey." Lucas answered, going back to his food. It was silent for a moment before the sound of his chair screeching on the floor bounced off the kitchen walls.