Chapter 32

Zoey p.o.v

My lashes fluttered against my cheeks as they blinked rapidly to clear my mind, my eyes widened in shock as I stared up at him. Quietly, sitting back down on the chair I once occupied.

Fake engagement? How does that work? I couldn't seem to wrap my head around the staged engagement and how it works. Is he just saying it to calm me down?

I am torn between giving him a chance to explain himself and just walking, since its none of my business what he does with his life. But eventually, I remain seated, I'm more curious than angry.

Curious about how they manage to get to that stage and how they go about it. Why did he insist on being with me when he could have just been with his supposed fiancée?

“We have a lot to talk about,” I said bluntly. Stalling this won't do us any good, even if I'm not certain of his reasons, I still can't drag this out any longer.

“I know baby.” I look at him, studying his features and body language to predict if he's going, to be honest. “I won't promise that I will answer all your questions, but I will answer the necessary ones.” He added, my brows furrowed in distaste, but I decided not to comment on it.

I took a huge amount of air into my lungs to calm my nerves down.

“Why did you break up with me then, I still don't know what happened, I'm still lost.” I shoot at him. I've been disturbed by this question all these years.

I fidget with my fingers, nervous about getting an answer to my long-term question. But I frowned when Marco remains silent.

“Marco?” I push, and he stares at me for another second before he responded.

“You were a target.” He started. “You and your family were in danger because of me, because of our relationship.”

At this point, I'm not that surprised because, with his family involved with the mafia, it will be extremely strange for their enemies not to be good after their close relations. That means I wasn't excluded.

But what I was trying to figure out, is remembering any time when I had felt threatened. However I came out empty-handed.

“I broke up with you for your safety, to take the attention from you. That was why I had always kept you on a strict curfew and had always demanded you tell me first before doing anything or going anywhere. It's not because I wanted to be a controlling freak, but that was my way of protecting you. My Father is too busy dealing with bigger issues that he has no time to watch out for you, my powers were limited at that time. The best option for me is to break up with you, especially when I was about to leave for the university.”

“But I remember ever feeling threatened,” I asked, still trying to wrap my mind around this whole thing.

“Because I blocked them off before they can reach you, remember those times you would see me limping while covered in bruises?” He held my hands tenderly and dropped a gentle kiss on it.

Flashback.

I stepped out of the school building, stopping briefly as I scanned the car park. Marco didn't come to school today, it wasn't the first time he had missed school. But each time he would come and pick me up after school.

A smile broke out, in my face when my eyes landed on his muscled but lanky form leaning on his black silk sports car. Looking magnificent and handsome, although he seemed restless as he kept glancing around the entire place.

He had seen me when I came out of the building but, unusual for him, he didn't come to meet me half as I had expected. Instead, he was glaring around as if he couldn't wait to get out of her.