Chapter 34

Zoey p.o.v

Several days have passed since Marco told me the truth about my dad's death, and to say the least, I'm still in shock they had kept something this big from me.

I'm starting to wonder what other secret are they hiding from me. The thought alone has me grimacing in distaste, and even more upset.

Mom and I have been living together for six years after dad's supposed death, and she kept the truth from me. She watches me suffering the loss of my dad and also made me think she was going through a hard time after losing her husband and she didn't say anything. What got me more upset with her, is that she asked them not to tell me the truth.

I grit my teeth together, forcing down my pain.

“So.....” Rebecca trailed off, dragging my strayed attention to her. We are sitting on the patio behind the mansion, sun bathing.

The patio is larger than an average size, and a huge outdoor pool lay ahead. We sat facing the pool and the woods that behind the high fence.

Rebecca and I have become friends, I was reluctant but damn, she's persistent. She has being going on about the different events she has attended, and filling me in on things and people she has a encountered.

I raised an eyebrow for her to continue.

“What's going on with you and Marco. Are you avoiding him?” She sipped on the cocktail in her hand, staring at me from under her lashes.

I'm tempted to roll my eyes and brush her off, but the look she's giving is saying I'm-not-quiting.

“Observant, are we?” I breathe teasingly.

“I have to Zoey, Marco is the only close friend I have that was willing to help me when I needed it. So it's only fair that I look out for him as well.” She stated, she sat upright and faced me.

“I just needed time and space to process everything, a lot is going on right, and I want to sort out my emotions.” I explained, even though that wasn't the entire truth.

I still couldn't get over the fact that Marco broke up with me out of the blue, it came as a complete blow to me, one I'm still healing from. If there is one thing I despise, it is when I'm being kept in the dark.

Even if it's for my protection, I would want to know as to not be taken off guard.

“I understand you, I will feel the same way if I was in your position. But I require you to look at the whole thing from another prospective. You'll see that keeping you in the dark was actually the best option, and you'll realize that it was for your own good.” Rebecca persuaded.

I still stand my ground, I hate been deceived.

“Do you know how Marco and I met?” Rebecca continued, when I didn't say anything, my brows knitted together. Why is she bringing that up, nonetheless, I gave her a single nod?

“He was ambushed.” I stated, Marco has already explained this to me.

“No.” She shook her head in denial. “That's was what he told you, but wasn't the actual truth.”

“What do you mean?” I grimace, my lips going into a straight line. That wasn't the truth? Then what is?

“He wasn't ambushed, he walked straight into their trap wilfully.” She said which deepened my frown. “To save you, he had to do their bidding.” Her words stunned me.

To save me? From what? Better said, from whom? And why will I be involved in anything that will endanger me, and requires my rescue?

“I don't understand, to save me from what?”