XXXVIII

"I'm sorry, guys

"I'm sorry, guys. I have to let her do this."

Everyone looks at each other, attempting to comprehend what was going on. Danah stood, stunned. Did they just lose the battle?

They worked so hard together to achieve the goal of getting Rose... just for her to trick them?

Rose didn't even have to start a war to win, she simply had something more devastating in mind. They fell victim to her schemes, and their very own friend aided her.

Jungwon lets go of the stray Vampire and takes a few steps back, still trying to process everything. The Stray hisses, softly touching his reddened neck.

All of a sudden, the ground rumbles and the cave began convulsing — It was not long until everyone realized that it was going to collapse.

A big chunk of rock crashes right beside Minji, causing her to shriek. The place was getting clouded by dust in no time, hindering everyone's vision.

"We have to get out!" Sunghoon yells and Jungwon snaps out of his daze. Minji nods, transforming into a bat and grabbing onto Danah.

The other Vampires follow suit. They struggle due to the shakiness of their surroundings, but they push through. Some Strays get crushed by falling debris.

When they get to the exit, they all stumble across the grass. The ground stops shaking and gets replaced with thunder. At an instant, they were soaked by multiple droplets from the sky.

"What is going on with the weather?" Danah exclaims, struggling to stand up due to the current physical setting.

No one said an answer because they knew the answer — It wasn't a hopeful one. It couldn't come out of their mouths, it was as if verbally saying it would make it 100% true... but it already was.

Lightning began roaring. "Rose won," Niki says as he looks around the place. "The realms are in the process of disconnecting."

Danah looks up at the sky, noticing that stars were exploding and even the moon was instantly going through it's four primary phases. "How do we fix it?!"

"We can't," Jay says. "This spell is sacred and cannot be salvaged once broken!"

What does all of this mean? What will happen to them? To Danah? "Danah..." Minji slowly points at her best friend. There was a hint of helplessness in her voice.

Danah looks at herself and realizes her body was slowly disappearing. Frightened, she falls backwards.

"No," Jungwon was in disbelief. He runs to her, pulling her into a tight embrace. "No, no, no..."

Sunoo looks around, seeing Vampires that resided in the Human realm suddenly appear with the looks of confusion on their faces. "Everyone is returning back to where they came from."

Jake's eyes slowly fall to Danah's disintegrating body. "And so are you, Danah."

"Can we still visit the Human realm at least?" Minji didn't want to swallow the fact. She was going to lose her best friend and be stuck here forever.

"You already know the answer to that," Jake's voice shook. "As of today, no Vampire nor Human will ever cross paths again."

Minji's heart sank to her stomach. She felt the life she had developed in the Human realm fall apart within a matter of seconds.

"Ever?" Danah's voice shook. It was tragic — A bitter ending to a love between two conflicting species.

"I'm sorry," Jungwon was heaving deep breaths due to the tears he was shedding. He sees her slowly withering away, "I wish we had more time."

"Don't let me go," Danah demands into his chest, trying to ignore her fading body. He tightens his embrace.

She had to come in to the terms with the fact that they will never meet again after this. Fate was simply against them.

"I should've stopped being a coward and asked you out," Jungwon tried to make light of the mood. "In our short time together, I realized we never became official."

Danah forces a laugh, "It's okay," she painfully assures him. However, she couldn't help but think of what they could've been. "To me, you will always be more than a short time."

He sniffles, "I love you."
"I love you too."

He hugged her until he had nothing left to hug. She took one last breath, then she was gone. Her body completely disintegrated. Now, he was on his knees, sobbing. Alone.

"Don't forget me."

The moment Danah opened her eyes, she was back in her bedroom, the Human realm. It was absurdly quiet.

She was on the floor, curled into a ball and letting her tears flow freely.

Starting from now on, Jungwon would never visit her during the night again, like he never existed. She wanted to scream, she wanted to wake up from this nightmare.

Wait, I have the realm teleporter. She quickly rummages through each one of her pockets and is relieved when she feels it.

She yanks it out and holds it before her. However, the relief doesn't last long. It, too, slowly fades away.

Now, there was nothing in her hands. This was her point of realization that she and Jungwon had lost the battle.

She musters enough strength to look up to be faced with the setting moon — The same moon that saw Jungwon and her fall in love... The same moon that saw Jungwon and her part ways.

It momentarily bids her farewell in exchange for the planet that she hadn't seen in a while: The sun she once desired, the sun she now dreads.

"I guess I woke up from the dream," she sniffles, recalling her and Jungwon's last ever innocent conversation the night prior.

This would be the last time they'd ever see each other again.

She didn't have anything physical to remind her of Jungwon. Like a dream, you would gradually forget everything that had happened. In five years time, Choi Danah would've forgotten what Yang Jungwon looked like.

That night, the entire country was in an outcry due to the sudden mass disappearances of Vampires who were thought to be Humans.

It ended just like that.

END.