Chapter 49

the morning dragged on, with you and your friends finishing the plans you had thought out.

even though they told you not to join, you insisted that you still would; you couldn't risk putting them in any danger.

so now, you were walking down the stairs of Musashi shrine with the boys, anxiety filling your body.

"you don't have to do this, y/n." Mikey said worriedly, trying to change your mind.

but you only shook your head, smiling softly despite the nervousness that raged through you.

the boys looked at you with concern evident in their eyes, hugging you one by one and getting on their bikes to leave.

"text us if you need any help," Baji said before driving off, while you nodded.

it was now only you and Draken, and he watched as you pulled out your phone, texting Hanma.

y/n
i want to meet to discuss the details of me joining Valhalla. when are you free?

Hanma
right now.
meet me in the same spot as last night.

you pocketed your phone, turning to Draken who moved his eyes towards yours.

"are you really going to do this?" he asked worriedly. he was wringing his hands, unable to keep still after the boys left.

"i have to, Kenny. theres no other way around it." he nodded slowly, pulling you into a hug.

you held him back, holding tightly onto the fabric of his shirt.

once you broke the hug, Draken hesitantly made his way to his motorcycle, hopping on and driving off, all the while keeping his eyes on you.

you waved at him, wishing he would stay but you knew that wasn't possible.

as the last person to leave Musashi shrine, you swung your leg over the only bike there, slipping on your helmet and starting the engine up.

with it slowly jerking forward, it picked up speed and you made your way to the cafe.

as much as you wanted to enjoy the ride, you couldn't help but feel you were driving straight into your death.

but, shaking your head from spiralling thoughts, you continued to drive until you reached the cafe, parking and hopping off the bike.

opening the door with weak hands, you spotted Hanma and walked over.

you sat down, glaring at him while he just smiled.

"Hanma. whats it going to look like when i join?"

he chuckled, setting his drink down and turning his full attention onto you.

"well, you're going to be in a higher ranking. youll be under Tetta Kisaki's supervision; im sure you've met him before."

your heart dropped, remembering how important he was to Toman. Kisaki was the third division captain, after Pah left.

'so everything Baji was trying to do was for a good reason, and it's fully proved now. Kisaki is working under Hanma, and im sure he's devoted to Valhalla.' the gears turned in your head, missing pieces finally connecting.

you were almost taking over where Baji left off when he joined Valhalla, and dread grew in your stomach at the thought.

"of course," Hanma continued, pulling you out of your thoughts. "no one quite trusts you right now, especially because of the run ins we've had with you. so you'll have to prove you're devoted to Valhalla."