Ch.4?

Nagisa's POV

The text I received was threatening to say the least
"Come home now or I will track you down and make you regret ever disobeying me. If you're with that Karma boy when I find you I swear to god I will kill that red headed twerp."

Karma is fast asleep, his arms wrapped around me pulling me lovingly into his chest. He's not the heaviest sleeper so escaping is gonna be a feat, but stealth is the only thing I've got going for me, so I think I'll manage.
I'll admit, my head was still pounding and my wrists stung with even the slightest bit of movement, but I made it work. I've certainly dealt with worse pain in the past so compared to that this is nothing. I use the extra pillow as a decoy and karma seems none the wiser. I grab the few belongings I brought with me and slip out the window, making sure to leave a note on his desk explaining my absence and thanking him for taking care of me.
He'll be mad at me when he wakes up but at least he'll be safe. If my mother were to come and get me herself there's no telling what sort of unspeakable horrors would occur.
Mother can be a cruel sadistic bitch.
I hate this.
I hate that I feel this way about my own mother, my only remaining family. I'm a horrible son. Nothing but a disappointment. I think that's what makes everything feel so much worse. I know that almost everything she says about me is true. I'm nothing but a useless ungrateful brat. No one will ever truly love me.

That's not true

It's not. Is it?
Karma cares!
Karma loves me!
Karma loves me?...right?

Shit!
How could I do this to him?
Why did I have to drag him into my mess?!
Fuck!
Why do I always ruin everything?!

Before I know it I find myself at the front door of my prison. I had been so lost in thought I barely realized where I was. Now I have to suck it up and take whatever lies on the other side. I take a deep breath and knock. The door opens, her fingernails dig into my skin like talons as she drags me inside. Closing the door and locking it behind her.
.

.

.
Karma POV:
I wake up to an empty bed and a sense of dread looming over me, crushing me more and more by the second. I scramble through the hallways, desperately searching for any sign of the boy I had so hopelessly fallen in love with. I called his name over and over again to no avail. I knew he was gone. I knew it was pointless, but I couldn't help it. It was wishful thinking more than anything. He's back with her. She must have threatened him or something. I hate this. I hate that I can't protect him, that he could be hurt and I would never know. That last night could be the last time I ever see him and I'll never know what happened to him.. ok maybe that's a bit much. I need to calm down. I need to breathe . I can't breathe. Why can't I breathe? Oh god the room is spinning. I feel so powerless. I can almost feel the air around me crushing me, forcing me down and strangling me. I need to breathe. Breathe. BREATHE!

I stumble into my desk, gripping the edges trying to steady myself.the move over to the desk is panicked and frenzied, knocking the papers off my desk. I feel the familiar sting of tears in my eyes. I failed him. I promised to protect him and I failed. I let go of the desk and lean against the wall before sliding to the floor. That's when I spot a note with my name on it. The handwriting was almost more familiar to me than my own.
Nagisa!

I scramble to the peice of paper frantically unfolding it.
"Dear Karma,
Sorry I didn't wake you up to say goodbye before I left. You just looked so peaceful, I couldn't bring myself to wake you up. My mom texted me and was really pissed so I had to leave early. I'm sorry for always being such a burden. Thanks for helping me out so much. I really don't deserve a friend as amazing as you. Please don't worry about me too much. My 2 day suspension should be over on Wednesday, so I'll see you then! I'm excited to be in the same class as you again, even if it is e-class. Anyway, I really have to go so I just wanted to say thank you so much for everything.
Love,
Nagisa💙
P.S.- Please don't text me, I'll probably be grounded so she'll have my phone for the rest of the weekend."

I clench the note in my fist and hold it tightly to my chest.
I was right.
He's going back to her.
He's walking straight back into hell and there's nothing I can do.

Karasuma POV:
I stare at the clock counting down the seconds. Something about this case just doesn't feel right...
I replay the events in my mind, establishing a timeline with what little evidence I have.

I was on my way to meet with one of our contacts for the ever elusive Irina yelavich. We were going to be meeting up at an alleyway near the bus station. Ms.Yelavich was the latest contestant on the government's new favorite game: which one of these world class assassins can kill the world destroying octopus without using e class as collateral!
So far every assassin we had met with prior to Ms.Yelavich had suggested plans that would either place the kids in direct danger or just outright call for the sacrifice of an entire class of middle schoolers. While the former was definitely preferable to the latter, neither were acceptable.
As I rounded the corner what I saw made my blood boil. A drunk asshole had this poor little girl pinned to the wall. Blood was trickling down her forehead, she seemed dazed and confused. It's possible that she was drugged, but evidence seems to point more towards a concussion. The only flaw in the concussion theory is that the evidence collected is too short a time frame for the concussion to have been that bad. Based on the blood stains left on the brick walls she was likely already injured before the man assaulted her. The camera evidence we have of the assault shows her hitting the wall with quite a bit of force, but it's at the wrong angle to have caused that type of wound. It would definitely reopen or exacerbate a pre-existing wound though... which was troubling. That meant she was already injured before the assault, meaning it would be harder to use that as physical evidence. The footage we have of the sexual assault however should be more than enough to prosecute. If we can just get more evidence from the kid's statement then maybe we can go for more severe charges, but until we have that evidence the most we can really do is a slap on the wrist compared to what that perverted asshole deserves. Thinking of him on the streets doing that to any one of my students has me seeing red. I want to rip his vocal chords out and slowly tear him limb from limb. I want him to suffer. The man's lucky I cared too much about my position as a teacher to shoot him on the spot. I will say the gunshots did seem to do wonders for scaring him into submission. Once I had him distracted it wasn't that hard to knock him out. The man was already unsteady on his feet, clearly drunk. I can't stop thinking of the way the kid acted when she woke up. It was almost as if this were routine for her. She was immediately on the defensive even in her clearly dazed state. She looked ready to run or fight. When she felt threatened and escaped my grasp she radiated this unique sense of power, a hidden raw talent for assassination, a sort of bloodlust buried deep in her eyes. I'm not kidding when I say the kid scared me a bit. Her intimidation game was on point. When I found out she was old enough to be in my class I almost thought about asking her to join. Something tells me she could teach my class a thing or two about assassination. Aside from her clear raw potential, she clearly didn't come from the most caring background. Judging by the way she looked at me after I told her she was safe and I wasn't going to hurt her, she almost looked shocked. I'm willing to bet there's definitely something going on at home. The way she clung to me as I let her sob into my chest I'd say it's a pretty safe assumption that the words "You're safe" are not ones she hears often, or at least, not from the adults in her life. I have a sneaking suspicion that she's being abused or neglected by her parents.
Prior to my position with the ministry of defense I was just a normal detective... well, normal isn't exactly the right word for it, more like a glorified government sanctioned vigilante, but a detective nonetheless. I specialized in cases of child abuse, sex trafficking, and kidnapping. There's a certain look in the eyes of kids that have been through things no one should ever have to endure, one that is not so easily forgotten. I saw that same look in the eyes of Nagisa Shiota.
I feel the need to protect the kid, to save her from whatever hell she has been through.
Which is why I'm getting restless waiting for her to show up to give her statement. Her mother promised that they would be here but it's almost 9pm and I have yet to hear from either of them. I can't help but feel like something awful has happened and the kid is in danger...