Secret

As Midoriya's condition took a turn for the worse, the tension in the hospital room was palpable. Hitoshi's heart raced with fear and uncertainty, and he couldn't bear to see his friend in such a fragile state. Without a word, he slipped away from the group, needing to be alone to process the overwhelming emotions swirling inside him. This left Mirio, Eri, Bakugou, Todoroki, and Mic.

Mirio, sensing the turmoil, decided to take Eri away from the tense situation. He knew that the best thing he could do right now was to shield Eri from all the yelling, all the screams. She had already been through so much. The last thing she needs is to see the people that love and care for her turn on each other.

"Come on, Eri. Let's go for a little walk," Mirio said gently, taking Eri's hand in his. "We can wait outside for now. Your big brother Izuku is in good hands with Aizawa."

Eri looked up at Mirio with her big, tearful eyes. "Is Deku going to be okay?"

Mirio smiled warmly, trying to offer her some comfort. "The doctors are doing everything they can to help him. He's strong, just like you, Eri. I believe in him. He doesn't give up without a fight. He's not going to let this stop him. If anyone can do it, deku can."
The wandered away towards the hospital courtyard, eri rambling about how cool and strong deku is and mirio just giving her a sad, knowing smile.

They were out of earshot when everything finally boiled over. It was too much, too much for Katsuki. Too much for todoroki. Too much for anyone honestly. To love Izuku at this point was almost masochistic, and here they were caught in the crossfire. Loving someone so doomed is practically begging for heartbreak, but they didn't care. They wouldn't have it any other way. Midoriya was worth it. His smile brought sun to rainy days, he had a way of lighting up any room he walked into. He could take any situation, no matter how dire, and find a way to work with it or around it. If anyone could do it deku could....

But this was something he couldn't do. He couldn't survive this. The odds are stacked against him. He's going to die. Sure, he might not die tonight, but his death is inevitable. It's inevitable, not in the sense that all death is inevitable, but in the sense that He had an expiration date that was slowly being chipped away with every "scare". The two year estimate hung over their heads like a boulder being hoisted by a frayed rope. Knowing that any second the rope could snap, but being held in place unable to move, it's indescribable. It's panic and terror and fear. It's making peace with the end, not because you want to, but because you have to. It's forcing yourself to look away from your inevitable doom and focus on the bustling life of the world around you, watching the sunsets each evening and sunrise each morning. Enjoying the shade on sunny days and shelter on rainy ones. Loving Izuku was like loving the boulder, knowing it will be your end while also acknowledging all that it has done for you.
Sometimes it's hard to remember he's alive. He's still here, living, breathing, suffering. Seeing him pale like that, covered in his own blood and laying limp in a hospital bed, it's almost like weeping over his grave.

Sometimes Bakugou realized that he was mourning Izuku before he was even gone.
That thought alone petrified Katsuki. He had given up. He had lost any sense of hope that things could change, that deku could live to surpass him and become the number one hero and live out his shitty fantasies like he deserved. Katsuki hated to think of deku lying 6ft under in a grave next to his mother's: Here lies Izuku Midoriya, hero, beloved son, and friend. May he Rest In Peace.

So when Mic called to give him daily updates on Izuku's condition he held onto those empty promises like a lifeline.
"The little listener is doing ok today. He's getting better now that he's actually eating."
"Izuku played a lot with Eri today. He was able to match her energy. I think he's doing well."
"Today was a bit of a struggle. He was tired but he's not showing any signs of anything else so he should be fine."
.
.
.
"Izuku had a bit of a scare earlier tonight, and he's in the hospital now."

How could he have been so naive. Mic was a good man, and a great teacher, but he was always giving the most optimistic approach. His expectations bordered on idealism. Even still Katsuki trusted him, only to be let down by empty promises and white lies.
So without raising his gaze to meet the man, Katsuki did waht Katsuki did best; he exploded.
"How could you" Bakugou growled under his breath.
"Sorry, I'm not sure I get what you mean little listener" mic gave a quizzical naive look, which just pissed Katsuki off more.
"You lied to us!" Bakugou's voice was sharp and filled with venom. "You said he was fine! That everything was going to be ok! Now look at him! He's dying and there's nothing we can do!" Bakugou screamed, small explosions bursting from his palms. 

Mic's eyes filled with tears as he tried to defend himself. "I promise you, I didn't lie. Everything was fine until last night."

"Liar! You're lying! That's Bullshit and you know it!" Bakugou cried.
"He can't just go from fine one day to half dead the next! There must have been signs! How could you be so blind! He needed you! He trusted you dammit and you let him down!"
Bakugou's hands trembled with rage. "He's my best friend, damn it! I've known him since diapers... You should have told me. Don't I deserve the truth?"
His voice cracked with vulnerability. This is the most emotion Mic had ever seen from the boy and he'd be lying if he didn't admit that he was at least a little scared.

His voice wavered as he tried to explain himself. "He didn't tell us. I thought everything was fine, but then he suddenly got worse last night. It was so sudden, and I couldn't understand what was happening."

Bakugou's anger intensified, "so why didn't you just tell me? We could have figured it out together"

Mic wiped away his tears, "I know, and I'm sorry. I thought everything was under control, and I didn't want to burden you both."

Bakugou's face flushed with frustration, "Damn right, you should have! We're not children, and we can handle the truth."

Todoroki's voice was filled with pain, "We care about Midoriya, and we want to be there for him. Don't shut us out."

The argument went on, with emotions running high and hurtful words exchanged. Bakugou and Todoroki were lashing out because they were scared, hurt, and frustrated at the situation. Mic's heart ached as he saw the pain in their eyes, knowing that he had let them down by not being more open with them.