Grandparents

Neteyam's POV:

I don't know why, but I just couldn't find myself falling asleep. I suppose it might be the fact that I don't usually sleep in, or the fact that right now, it is so overwhelmingly hot. But I think the actual reason my eyes just won't shut, is because Aonung isn't here. 

I know I sound clingy when saying that aloud, but in all honesty, I've had some of the best nights with Aonung. I just felt so safe in his presence. He had this warmth that I could just stay in for the rest of my life.

My mind began to trail off, random things popping into my head every now and then. Mainly Aonung, though. I lay facing the ceiling of our hut, my hands tucked under my head and the blankets hardly covering my waist.

However, my thoughts were interrupted when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Aonung entering the room. He had a wide smile across his face and seemed in a very cheerful mood. I rolled over onto my side, facing him and rubbing my face.

"I thought you wanted to sleep in?" Aonung asked, crouching down in front of me and holding my hands in his. I let out an annoyed groan, squeezing my eyes shut and rolling over again. This time I pounced on to Aonung, pushing him to the ground and sitting on top of him.

"I can't sleep because of you!" I exclaimed, looking down at him. I couldn't understand why, but Aonung simply smirked at me. That same stupid smile that made me swoon all those years ago. I was about to give him a piece of my mind, when Aru ran in, jumping and tackling me to the floor. 

Now, Aru was on top of me, rambling about something I couldn't understand. There was one part I understood clear as day though

"You don't touch uncle Aonung!" She shouted at the top of her lungs, getting off me and running over to Aonung. I watched Aonung practically laugh in my face as she attempted to help him up. Aonung eventually sat up, his legs folded in front of him. 

"It's fine Aru. Uncle Teyam and I were just playing" He reassured Aru, placing a hand on her head and ruffling her hair. Aru quickly calmed down, laughing at Aonung who was still ruffling her short braids. 

"Okay Uncle Aonung!!" Aru chirped, skipping over to me and helping me up. I accepted, a little hurt that I was practically attacked.

"So, no hug for Uncle Teyam?" I asked, actually starting to get offended. Normally, Aru would be overjoyed to see me. Mainly because I've never actually found the time to play with her as much as Aonung does. 

"Oh, yes!!" She giggled, beaming with excitement. She ran up to me, tackling me once again and bringing me into a hard, but calming hug. I let out a huff, trying to catch my breath

"Woah. I can see you have your father's strength" I said, lifting her off me while standing up as well. Aonung was already standing, walking over to me and leaning down to Aru's height

"And your Mothers beauty" Aonung added, pulling her into a sloppy kiss on the cheek. Aru fought back, laughing and pushing him away

"Uncle Aonung! Eww!" She giggled, wiping her cheek off. I laughed along, bending down so I was also at eye level with Aru

"What? You want one from Uncle Neteyam too?" I asked, smirking at her and grabbing her from underneath the arms. She laughed, putting both hands over her cheeks and screaming

"Noo! Kisses are yucky!" She replied, uncontrollably laughing at this point. I continued to tickle her, causing her to let go of her face and laugh even louder. When I saw a gap, I went in, giving her the sloppiest kiss she's ever gotten.

"Haha!" I laughed out, putting her down again. She wiped her face again, mumbling something both Aonung and I couldn't hear. I'm not exactly sure how, but Aonung found himself standing by my side, his hand gripping my waist and his body linking with mine. If anything, he kind of caught me off guard. 

"Uncle Teyammmm!" Aru whined, running up to me again and squeezing her arms around my legs, pulling me into a very, very tight hug. I rested my hands on her head, smiling at how adorable she was being. Aru could be clingy sometimes, sure, but I found it sweet how she's way too short to give me a proper hug. 

"Yes baba?" I asked, letting her go and watching her back up, her eyes full of excitement. Her pupils were dilated and her hair was practically standing up. She brought her hands up to her chest, waving them around and bouncing up and down.

"Can we visit Nan nan and Apa?" She asked, he voice high pitched and her tail swaying back and forth rapidly. When she said 'Nan nan' and 'Apa' I knew she was talking about my parents. Or, Lo'ak's parents to her. She called Aonung and Tsireya's parents her 'Gran gran' and 'Poppa' I also found that cute.

I directed my gaze to Aonung who still had a wide grin on his face. I raised my eyebrows, basically asking for permission. Aonung slowly nodded, his smile softening and his gaze lowering down to Aru who was waiting patiently for an answer.

"I mean, I don't see why not?" I finally answered, looking down at Aru who was biting her bottom lip in excitement. Aru then threw her arms in the air, screaming and giggling louder than ever before

"Yay!! We're going to see Nan nan and Apa!!" She shouted as loud as she could, running out of the hut and along the shore. I chuckled at her reaction, resting my head on Aonung's shoulder

"Oh Eywa, I remember the day she was born" I huffed out, feeling myself get emotional. It was sad seeing Aru grow up. It reminded both Aonung and I just how fast time was going, and that sooner than expected, she'd be our age.

"Yeah. She's getting big, isn't she?" Aonung asked, pulling me closer into a rather tight side hug. I felt my heart shatter hearing those words. Big? He's right. She's not a baby anymore. She's older. That makes me think of kids. 

"She's definitely not a baby anymore" I responded, breaking free from the hug and walking out of our hut, following after Aru. I heard Aonung's light chuckle before following behind me. He wrapped his tail around my waist, pulling me close to him.

"Can't wait to see your family" He said, gulping. I laughed at his reaction. 10 years later, and he's still terrified of my parents. I have to say though, it has been a while since I saw them. So this will be interesting.

---Chapter 38 end---

JAKE AND NEYTIRI AS GRANDPARENTS!!

Aru is honestly a sweetheart (Just like her mama and daddy)