38. not wanting to find out

Violet's POV:

"Excuse me ma'am, you need to eat. How else will you be able to push through your day, when you don't have any energy?" The lady that entered the room a few minutes ago speaks.

She sits beside me and pats my hand.

"At least a bite, please?" She sighs and looks at me, but I'm not even glancing at her.

I'm not listening to her.

"Yeah, fine. Just go, please." I wave her off, feeling a little guilty for how I treated her, but it's not even my fault.

I've been in a coma for about a week and a half, the doctors say I'm now stable and fine, I just need to eat and take a few pills.

This is the last day of pills, and also the last day I'm staying here, in this hospital.

You would say that these are good news.

I mean, they are. But, there's a but.

When I woke up a few days ago, no one was here. Except Silvia and Jacob.

They explained everything to me. Like how Blake and I were in a car accident, how everyone rushed to the hospital, how worried everyone was.

I didn't care about that. The first thing I asked was "Where is Blake?"

And their answer absolutely shattered me.

"He left for Italy."

How could he do that?

Does he know I'm okay? He probably does.

Then why isn't he here?

Why hasn't he called or even texted?

When I was in the coma, it felt as if I was losing my mind. I kept seeing the people I love the most, but they always disappeared.

When I saw Blake, he made me think I wasn't losing my mind that much.

He made me feel okay, he gave me hope.

And now that I'm awake, he completely destroyed that hope.

I glance at the pancakes the nurse left a few minutes ago.

I take some bites, quickly finishing the food.

But I still felt empty inside.

"Good morning, how are you feeling?" Silvia speaks, I think she's been here since the nurse left.

But I was too busy overthinking to notice.

"I'm okay." I'm not.

"I'm sorry it was a stupid question." She sighs, slapping her forehead with her hand, before sitting next to me.

"It's okay." I assure her.

"It's not. I just," She starts, but suddenly she doesn't know what to say.

"I just feel sorry." She finally says.

"What for?" I ask, laying my head back on the pillow.

"As your best friend I'm supposed to make
you happy. I can't seem to do that." She says, blaming herself.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, I love you. It's not your fault he isn't here now." I say and she lays with me, hugging me from behind.

We just lay there.

Without saying a word.

It's peaceful with her.

But it doesn't take long to remember why we had this conversation.