2

When the sun was peaking through the torn curtains, Theia rose from her straw-stuffed bed and began to get ready for her day at work. She went out to the sitting room and grabbed her freshly washed clothes that had been left to dry in front of the hearth. The fire had died down, so she brought it to life again with paper and kindling, adding a few more logs. After forcing her mother to eat when she got home from the tavern, Theia had gathered several blankets, including her own, and placed them over Maia in hope that she would survive another night in that chair.

And there she sat, eyes closed and too quiet breaths leaving her chapped lips. The blankets remained on top of her, and the smell coming from her told Theia she'd have to coax her into a bath tonight. Theia placed a basin of water on the hearth to heat by the fire and went into the kitchen to find some type of sustenance for her mother. Finding a bag of stale rolls from the bakery, Theia broke them apart and slathered jam onto them. She placed them on a plate and filled a glass of water. When she was finished, Theia placed them on the small table next to her mother and gathered cloths. Using the cloths to protect her fingers from the hot basin, she carried it into the bathing chamber and began to strip.

She had bought a case of soap from the apothecary the year before when the owner of the bakery gave her a large bonus for the Winter Solstice. It had a variety of scents, which she greatly enjoyed. Today's choice was one of lavender and pine, and it made Theia feel like much more than a grimy tavern worker. After washing herself, Theia dumped the water and began to dress herself.

Bundled in wool pants and a sweater, Theia gathered her coat and made her way to the bakery. The smell of fresh breads filled her nose as she neared the building. Smoke rose from the chimney and added to the fog that settled over Windhaven. With her first smile of the day, Theia marched in.

"Good morning!" She called, dropping her coat on the hanger and pulling an apron over her clothes.

"Mmhm!" Calliope hummed from the kitchen. The older female was already hard at work, placing trays of bread and pastries on the counter to cool. Theia practically skipped into the kitchen, grabbing one of the trays and bringing it to the display in the front. Because it was an optional day of training, a majority of the camp came to the village to shop and enjoy freshly baked foods. Within moments, the bakery would surely be filled.

"Pastries!" Calliope called, smacking a tray on the counter.

"Cauldron, Calli! I heard you," Theia grumbled, rushing back to gather the pastries and returned to the display. She placed the steaming food onto the display trays, dusting the pastries with powdered sugar before hurrying back into the kitchen to repeat the process. Not long after she gathered the last tray of bread, set out a jar of butter and honey, people came rushing in.

Theia was sure there were more customers than ever before as the trays ran empty and tea had to be made to satisfy them as they waited. Calliope was shouting orders from the back, practically thrusting trays at Theia as she finished their baking. The pastries had yet to cool before warriors were shoving them into their mouths.

The rush slowed, though Calliope did not. As satisfied bellies left the door, empty ones filed in. Thankfully, a few took it upon themselves to sip tea at the tables near the window rather than gather around the counter as Theia struggled to find correct change for the coin being thrown at her.

"One of your berry pastries, please," a male spoke behind her as Theia counted in her head. Finally realizing how much change was necessary, Theia closed the drawer and turned. She placed the coins in front of the female who had last ordered and turned to the male. Her eyes ran over his smiling face, realizing he was the warrior from the tavern the night before.

"Mm, berry pastries are being baked. It'll be about fifteen minutes," she responded, drumming her fingers on the counter. The male turned his eyes to the display case, chewing on his lip as he looked over the remaining options. His smile returned as he glanced back at Theia.

The Heir of NightOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara