11

Theia perched herself atop the stool, mouth watering at the smell of the food. She didn't remember the last time she had a meal like this, and didn't want to make a fool of herself by diving in. She waited until Nyx sat beside her and began using the knife and fork to cut his steak.

"Has my mother eaten?" Theia asked, feeling guilty that the thought hadn't crossed her mind before she debating eating this meal whole. Nyx nodded as he shoved a piece of steak between his lips.

"Madja brought it to her earlier."

At his confirmation that Theia wasn't taking precious food from her mother, she began to cut into the steak. Her hand hesitated before putting the meat on her tongue, trembling slightly. This was surely the first of many great meals, but was this her acceptance of Nyx's lifestyle? Was this another way of showing her appreciation of his wealth?

"Go ahead and eat, Theia. There's no harm in feeding yourself," Nyx murmured with a mouthful. Her eyes shot to him, though he was looking at his plate with a look of disinterest. She sighed and placed the steak into her mouth. Immediately, her body felt as though she'd melt into the floor. More flavor than she had ever tasted, warmer than anything she'd ever eaten. If this is how the wealthy eat, maybe she could accept their lifestyle. Before she finished the first bite, Theia shoved another into her mouth.

She couldn't help her groan, or the way she leaned back in the chair as she chewed. Even the fresh pastries at the bakery couldn't compete with this delicacy. Next, she dove into the vegetables. At some point, her legs curled up onto the stool seat and she was hunched over the plate like some feral beast. When the plate fell empty, Theia had to restrain herself from licking the remnants from the ceramic.

"I'd offer more, but surely your stomach can't handle anything else," Nyx spoke, a smile teasing his lips. Theia nearly forgot he was beside her in the moments of ecstasy, her body jolting at the sound of his voice. He spoke the truth. When the high of glorious food settled, the ache began. Her stomach was stretched more than it had been in over a decade.

"Cauldron," Theia groaned, placing a hand over her stomach and leaning back. The cramping was agony, though her tongue craved more. Never had she been so eager to practically rupture her organs by devouring warm food.

"I should've made you slow down, I'm sorry," Nyx spoke again. Theia clenched her jaw, glancing at the wine.

"Can I just have water?" Nyx rose from his seat immediately, setting his empty wine glass down on the counter. Theia looked down at her wool shirt, seeing her stomach bulge in it. She had never been this full in her life, even as a babe when she drank from Maia. Her mother had never been well nourished at any point in Theia's life, and as a baby, she had to get sustenance from other things. Penelope had always taken it upon herself to feed Theia scraps from meat, juices from vegetables, and lots of broth.

Nyx placed a glass of water in front of Theia and she took it. Taking small sips, she looked up at him. He was standing beside her chair, grinning down at her. "This would be a lot less demeaning if you'd stop watching me," she mumbled into the glass. She watched his cheek dip as though he bit it in order not to laugh and turned to grab the wine glass meant for her. He finished it in three swallows, gathered his own empty glass, and placed them into the sink.

When Theia finished her water, he took her glass and the plates and set them in the sink as well. She slid from the stool and practically waddled to the stairs. "If you'd like to bathe, my mother left clothes for you in the wardrobe in your mother's room."

Her eyes turned to the heir. He walked up beside her, motioning up the stairs. She began to climb, body warming at the thought of a bath like the one she had the night before. When she made to turn into her mother's room, Nyx caught her arm. Theia met his eyes, feeling as though she needed to cower under their weight.