46

Theia felt like the past few months have been suffocatingly full of event after event that left her shocked and broken, but she never expected this to be one of them. The Night Court heir on his knees, begging for her to let him love her. Selfishly enough, she felt like this may be more heart-wrenching than waking up beside her dead mother. Never, never had she expected romance to lay in her future, but here it was. Nyx, on his knees as he poured his cruel heart to her.

Each move he made was agonizing. Whether it was watching her use the toilet because he didn't trust her on her own, letting her suffer to be the one to help, or urging her to give him every piece of her. Each word that left those wicked lips were another slice of a sharpened blade.

His hands slid to her lower back, tugging her forward. Theia couldn't meet his eyes anymore, so instead she focused on the window behind him. It was an unusually sunny day for winter. She gasped when his lips met her bare stomach again, her fingers squeezing his arm in warning. Theia knew her heart well enough that she was certain that tears would fall if he made any more attempts.

Being alone in her cabin was safe, being forgotten in the village was safe, sleeping in Nyx's arms was safe, but loving him was uncomfortably wrong. She'd never felt any connection toward another person before, even her love for Maia was strained by hatred. Theia knew the signs had been there, but she'd never known what they meant.

"Theia, I've given you every truth. Put a dagger in my heart and I will still beg for you to love me. If you don't accept me for what I've done, I understand, but give me an answer. I'm beginning to feel foolish for being naked on my knees in front of a crying female."

Theia hadn't even known she was crying. Her eye twitched as she lifted two fingers to her cheek, feeling the warm liquid of sorrow. She wouldn't survive without his touch or presence, and pushing him away would leave her dying in solitude. It had been her dream so many months ago, but now, she couldn't bear it if his hands left her skin for good.

"Slowly," she croaked, sucking in a shuddering breath before looking down at him. Nyx's lips were still half-raised into a smile, though his brows inched together. She hated his beauty right then. Hated the curve of his lips, the shadowed beard along his jaw, the angle of his face. Her jaw clenched, fighting the urge to look away. "I don't want to love you, I don't want to be loved by you. If I let this happen, I want it to be slow."

"Anything you wish, Theia. I'm yours, I'm at your mercy," Nyx murmured, his eyes remaining on hers as he leaned forward and pressed another kiss to her navel. Theia felt her bottom lip tremble as the male rose from his knees and hooked a knuckle beneath her chin. He studied her face with such care, it was as though he wanted to remember every detail.

"So beautiful," Nyx whispered, his hand splaying across her lower back as he tilted her chin higher. He leaned forward so slowly, Theia thought he hadn't moved at all. His lips pressed into several spots on her cheek, her nose, and hovered over her lips. "Even if you continue to hate me, it would be an honor to love you."

Theia didn't get the chance to process his words before he kissed her. She had been so used to the hungry, lust-filled kisses that he'd always given her, but this was something entirely new. Every movement was slow and gentle. As his tongue ran along her bottom lip, it was not a demand but a request. Theia felt herself be pulled toward his body by her own accord. He simply held her, but she was free to make the choices.

She brought her hand to his arm, rising onto her toes. She hated him, but Mother strike her dead if she didn't want to be closer. Her other hand slid up his bare chest and hooked around his neck, fingers twisting into his hair. The warm touch of his lips was more intoxicating than any wine she'd ever tasted, and Theia decided in that moment that she'd gladly grow addicted. In her first chance at acceptance, she parted her lips.