14

Body trembling, Theia brought her hand to her mouth. Thick blood coated her lip, as well as the weight his lips had left behind. Perhaps it wasn't a big deal to others when they first kissed someone, but Theia imagined that it would at least be her first choice. Her eyes lifted from her crimson fingertip to Nyx and the male. He was rising from his knee, his foot sending a crack to the male's ribs.

"She didn't want it. Don't fucking put your hands on her again. If someone doesn't want it, then don't fucking touch them." Another kick and he turned to Theia. Her eyes were wide, but held no tears. She resisted the urge to swallow, still feeling the blood on her tongue. Nyx stepped forward. He wasn't close enough to touch, and that thought had Theia stepping forward. He lifted a hand, though it didn't touch her. His fingers hovered over her lips, brows furrowing as he studied her.

"Why are you bleeding? What did he do to you?" His voice was low and threatening. Theia shook her head as she tried to gather words in her throat.

"It's not mine," she croaked, finally realizing she could rid herself of the taste and spit. She did, and then glanced behind Nyx at the male who was slowly rising onto his knees. His face was swollen and bloodied, his hand shaking as he gripped his side.

"He's fine. Let's go home," Nyx murmured, the hand that lifted to her face now sat inches from her waist in an attempt to turn her. Theia was grateful he didn't touch her, though she craved some type of comfort. She wished Elena hadn't left, or that her mother would listen if she told her what had happened. They walked in silence, Theia spitting the male's blood from her tongue every time it felt like too much.

"It was my first," she breathed out, lifting her eyes to study the side of Nyx's face. Her words had his feet nearly tripping over themselves as his head whipped to the side. Theia stopped walking and studied his face. His dark brows were pressed together, his lips in a thin line. Theia watched that muscle in his jaw ripple in the moonlight and she almost wondered what it would feel like under her finger.

"Your first kiss?" He spoke slow, as though struggling to understand what she had said. Theia nodded. A puff of breath left his lips in whirling fog. His hands were shaking almost as much as hers were now, but his seemed to be of restraint.

"It's okay, I made the choice to meet him," Theia murmured, lifting her shoulder in a small shrug. His eyes narrowed. Nyx shook his head and his hand lifted again as though he wished to touch her face.

"You may have made the choice to meet him, but you changed your mind. I was walking to the tavern so I could walk you back to the house and I heard you struggling. I heard you tell him you didn't want it anymore. He should've stepped away then," Nyx spat. He was speaking to her as if she were the one to commit such an act. He sounded furious.

"Yes, but like he said, I teased him all night. The least I could do would be to entertain him until he was finished."

"That's not how that works, Theia. You didn't tease him, you made eye contact with him throughout the night, that's it. Even if you did tease him, as soon as you decided you didn't want to continue, he should've backed off. I mean, you didn't kiss him back, so it shouldn't count as your first." His voice softened as he spoke, his eyes on her lips. She suddenly remembered just how much blood may remain on them and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Can I decide that?" Theia asked. His eyes lifted to hers, somehow as bright as the stars peeking through the clouds above. His right eye twitched, his hand flexing.

"Yes. You can decide for yourself whose kiss is truly your first." It seemed to pain him to say that. Theia couldn't understand why his face seemed to be fighting another expression.