25

Theia's anxiety rose with each moment closer to the end of her shift. She couldn't help but feel as though it might end the same as her last attempt at a night with a male, but Felix seemed kind enough. He kept his eyes on her for the rest of the evening, hands lingering on hers when she'd refill his ale.

When the night ended and everyone filed out of the tavern, memories of the night she had been kissed and left covered in blood were strong. Theia hadn't had a successful attempt with a male, and she prayed to the Mother that it would be tonight. At first, she planned to kiss him and claim to need to use the bathing chamber, and then claim she was too tired to continue. Now, she realized how badly she needed a distraction.

All evening, when she stood back and watched the crowd, the noise blended together and all she could think of was that night a week ago. How Maia passed away, how her body gave up so suddenly, how Theia had laid beside her as her soul left. She hadn't had the nerve to ask where her body had gone, only trusted that Madja took care of it.

"Do you want me to walk you home?" Elena asked, leaning over to kiss Theia's head as they neared the door. Theia shook her head, clearing her throat.

"No, thank you," she murmured, pushing the door open. As expected, Felix stood outside. His back was leaned against the wall, a dagger flipping in his hand. Her heart was pounding as she stepped toward him, a shy smile on her lips. Elena cleared her throat, making Theia turn to look over at her. The female cast her eyes down the alley and back, making Theia follow.

The shadow of a male stood in the alley, wings held tall and spread wide. Theia knew exactly who it was, felt his eyes against her skin like a branding. Elena didn't look nervous, telling Theia that she also knew Nyx stood there watching them. She felt Felix stand taller, his hand on Theia's lower back. Chills ran up her spine at the touch.

"Do you want us to walk you home?" Felix asked Elena, his eyes on the figure. Elena shook her head, glancing between Theia and Felix. A question rose in her eyes, but Theia didn't want to answer it.

"I'll go speak with him, I know who it is. Have a good night," Elena murmured, pressing her lips together before turning and walking down to Nyx. Theia's breath caught in her throat when Felix's lips pressed against her hair. A place to stay, somewhere warm, a distraction. She chanted her reasoning in her head as she turned in the male's grasp.

He was very handsome. He was more lean than Nyx, his facial features not as strong. She clenched her jaw at the intrusion of Nyx within her thoughts. This male was plenty, and seemed kind enough. If it went badly, she'd simply tell herself it didn't count; just like Nyx had told her.

"Are you ready?" He asked in a low voice, making her stomach flutter. Her nerves were high, perhaps she should've had a few drinks before leaving the tavern. Theia nodded, dropping her eyes to her boots when he turned them and began to lead her to his home.

His hand remained in a polite position on her lower back, and he didn't pull her against the wall to kiss her yet. Theia figured he was patient, or maybe he could sense her discomfort. She didn't feel unsafe, at least she thought so.

"This is mine," Felix spoke gently, nudging Theia to turn. Her eyes lifted to a cabin-style house. Smoke rose from the chimney, snow cleared from the walkway. It looked empty, despite the clear fire built in the hearth. A wealthy trainee, she came to that conclusion quickly.

"It's nice," she murmured as they walked in the front door, her eyes trailing the dim entryway. It was only one level, yet decorated with nice rugs and furniture. Theia pulled from Felix's grip to drop down and pull off her boots. He chuckled and did the same. She rose on shaking knees, eyes falling to a door that was slightly cracked.