31

Madja finished her job within an hour. Theia still ached, but it funneled to her spine. All she could focus on was the raging headache and the whirlwind of murderous thoughts. Madja had also cleaned Theia, but she still felt dirty. The male had hardly touched her, yet she still felt the grime of his skin on hers. Every time she looked at Nyx, she felt it over and over again.

"Did you get their names?" He asked after a long pause of silence. He had winnowed Madja back to Velaris twenty minutes before, and returned to standing by the door. Theia shot him a glare, furious that she was wrapped in his clothes now that hers were torn.

"I didn't have time," she snarled, rolling her eyes. Nyx scoffed and shook his head. His tongue ran along the inside of his cheek as though he was trying to contain himself.

"Don't be a fucking smart ass. Who were they with? How many? Did they say who they were sent by?"

"Cauldron, Nyx. They aren't some spy mission sent by a High Lord. They're sick fucks that wanted redemption for Felix after you broke his face," Theia retorted, crossing her arms. The movement hurt like hell, but she liked the comfort of holding herself.

"And who were they?" He growled, shoving off the wood trim of the doorway. Theia ground her teeth, watching him through the side of her eye.

"It doesn't matter, Nyx. You go hurt them, and I'm sure that they have friends who will retaliate against me again. No offense, but I don't want some prick's hand shoved down my pants every time you want to punch someone."

Nyx's eyes flicked to her legs. Theia nearly grinned, realizing her words just confirmed what he suspected. Fucking bastard.

"You could've died, Theia. I don't give a shit if they want to swarm you again and again. I'll show them exactly what will happen if they lay a hand on you."

Rage bubbled in her stomach. It nearly brought her to tears. Besides Nyx bedding her the day before, being assaulted was the first thing to spark emotion in her empty chest in these weeks. She wanted to feel that rage, cling to it before it leaves her again.

"I don't care, Nyx. Don't you get it? They are all too scared to actually kill me, but I don't want the shit they plan beforehand. Death is a fucking blessing, being raped or clipped is where I draw the line," she shouted, fists curling against Nyx's shirt on her arms. His nostrils flared, brows shadowing his eyes.

"Clipped? Raped? How fucking far did they get, Theia?" She groaned, dropping her head back. She wanted to get out of his bed, out of this house. She wanted his eyes off of her, she wanted to go home. The thought of curling up in front of the fireplace at home had her eyes burning.

"I was almost clipped, but one of them decided he wanted some fun first," she replied, voice dropping low. Her energy levels were shaky- rising enough to yell at the heir, dropping when she remembered why she was here.

"What kind of fun?" Nyx asked through his teeth. Theia watched his knuckles go white as he clenched his fist. She wanted to laugh. Would he really care about someone who uses his body?

"Exactly what you're thinking. He cut my leggings but I kicked him before he could do anything more than touching," she murmured, rolling her head against the headboard. She wanted to lay down, but not here. She hated herself for not being able to walk out of this house; she cursed her body for being weak when she needed it.

"I'm going to fucking kill him," Nyx growled, his own head rolling on his shoulders. It seemed as though he were fighting with himself, trying to contain the beast within.

"And then I'll be at another's mercy in his vengeance. Leave it alone, leave them alone, so I can stop suffering at your hand."

Nyx's jaw popped. Theia wondered if his teeth were cracking with how hard he clenched them.