24

Calliope was certainly furious. Theia had hardly gotten the door open before curses were being thrown at her.

"How dare you, child! I pay you to come here, and you leave me for a week! You didn't even tell me! Our busiest days, too!" She was screaming, slamming the metal trays down on the counter. Theia sighed and pulled off her coat, replacing it with the apron. The few customers at the table were staring wide eyed at Theia as she slipped behind the wall and into the kitchen.

"Calli. Calli, please. I can explain, can you just calm down?" The female crossed her arms and glared at Theia. She took in a breath and swallow harshly. She had to speak the words aloud, and she didn't know if she had the strength to do it. She'd have to do it twice today, once for Calli, and once for Elena.

"Out with it!" Calliope urged, smacking the tray again. Theia clenched her jaw and slammed her hand down on the tray so Calli couldn't lift it again. 

"My mother is dead. She died the night after the Solstice. I've been grieving, I just left where I was staying and got back home. I'm sorry I didn't tell you, I didn't tell the tavern either," Theia snapped, anger rising with the words. Calli's eyes widened and the female dropped back a step.

"Oh, Theia, I didn't know. I'm sorry about your mother. Take another day, if you need," she spoke quickly, reaching to hug Theia. She put a hand on the female's shoulder to stop her and shook her head.

"I'm fine. It'll be a nice distraction to work," she murmured, patting Calli's shoulder before returning to the counter. The customers at the tables left. Instead, the High Lord stood at the counter. Theia internally groaned and tapped her fingers on the counter, willing herself not to cower under his stare.

"What can I get you? Our berry pastries are-"

"I heard about your mother. I'm sorry, I did not know. Madja returned to us last night, but Nyx told me when you left the house. I will get together some trainees to repair your house, we can have the roof patched by the time you return home tonight." His voice was low, warmer than she had ever heard him. The kindness in it made her nose burn, and her damned agony made her want to jump the counter and let him take her into his arms.

"Thank you, High Lord, but this is not the place for this discussion. My home is fine, I will repair it on my own. I don't wish for your help any longer, nor Nyx's. I wish to leave it all behind, I'd like to forget my stay at that house and continue my life alone."

She didn't mean to say it all, nor did she mean for her voice to break and tears to flood her eyes. Rhys tilted his head and frowned, reaching a hand out and laying it over hers. Theia bit down on her tongue to stop her sob. She didn't like how her emotions came so suddenly now. She didn't like how his presence reminded her of Maia.

"Come here, Theia. Please."

She was sure that the High Lord rarely pleaded anyone. With wobbly knees, she pulled her hand from his and rounded the bakery counter. She nearly ran when he opened his arms, and slammed into his chest like she'd never experienced a hug before. The High Lord's arms closed around her tightly, his lips pressing into her hair.

"I'm sorry," she whispered into his fine coat that was being ruined with her tears. He shook his head, nose brushing against her hair. 

"I've experienced loss too often to let you go through it without support. Sometimes we just need to know someone is willing to be there for us, right? Don't hesitate to tell Feyre, Nyx, or I if you need someone to be there for you," he spoke softly, his hand running over her shoulder. Theia nodded against him, savoring the paternal touch that she had never experienced before.

"Why are you being kind to me now? Is it pity?" She asked as she stepped back. Perhaps her sorrow had given her the confidence to ask a High Lord something so brave. He frowned again, shoving his hands into his pockets. He didn't want to answer that, she could see it plainly enough. She wiped her cheeks and took in a heavy breath, ready to turn away.