29

Theia didn't know what came after sex. With Felix, he'd send her to take a bath and either hold her or be asleep when she returned. Nyx, he hovered above her body, staring down at her. Theia swallowed, catching her breath. She expected him to roll away, to tell her to clean herself. He kept his hold on her cheek, thumb brushing the bone. His head dropped down, body weight heavy on hers as he tucked his face between her neck and shoulder. Theia stared at his wings, the ceiling above them.

"What do-"

"Shut up."

She wanted to know what came next, if she needed to scream at him to leave or beg for him to hold her. Nyx didn't let her ask. He held her body to his, still inside of her. His thumb ran along her cheek, his lips brushing the skin of her neck.

"Nyx," Theia whispered, making him puff out a sigh and lift his head. Their eyes met and she wanted to crawl beneath his powerful body and hide from the world, from him.

"What do you want me to do?" He asked, running his tongue over his swollen lip. She shook her head, unsure how to answer. He was meant to know everything, he was meant to lead her in this. Theia somehow felt safer than ever, yet completely terrified when he was around. She didn't want him in her bed, in her home. She didn't want him to have another chance at tearing a piece of her soul away.

"Leave," she whispered, glancing between his eyes. Their brilliant blue hues darkened, shadows taking the light away. She winced as he sat up and pulled out of her. That ache of emptiness seemed to swallow her whole. Loneliness, even with a male kneeling above her.

"You want me to leave?"

She fought the muscles that trying to shake her head, biting down on her lip hard enough for the scab to break. He had taken so much from her, his presence was as suffocating as the absence of Maia. Theia pushed herself up, taking her knees from his hips and tucking them to her chest. She didn't want to be alone, but she didn't want to be with him. He represented everything that had changed so rapidly in her life.

"Please," Theia spoke, voice cracking. Nyx's brow twitched as he looked her over. He could smell the battling thoughts, he knew just how badly she wanted him to leave and stay. Nyx clenched his jaw, the muscle flickering. Theia's fingers twitched, an effort to stop him, but she watched as he slid from the bed and tugged on his pants.

"I've been staying here every night these past two weeks. I've been waiting for you to come back so that someone could put you back together. You look frail, Theia. Not just how fucking small you are because that piece of shit didn't make sure you were fed, but everything about you. I told myself I'd make sure you lived. Your mother already died, and you're next.

"You want to be alone here? Fine, but if I come back and see you swinging from the damn roof by a rope, just know that it was your choice. If you want a distraction, fine, my body is yours to use, but I'm stopping there. I made sure this house was repaired, you have clothes and a bed, you have food. My responsibility for you is done, Theia. Whatever happens next is your choice."

She stared at him. She stared at the truth he held in front of her. Theia used him, and if he stayed, she'd continue to do that. As much as he had taken from her, he'd given her just as much. And now, he grabbed his shirt with a fist and marched out of her room. Theia stared at the blank wall he had stood in front of, hearing the front door slam, the boom of wings, and then the deafening silence.

Alone, alone, alone. All at her hand. She'd given him her body, possibly her way of repaying him for all he had done. That's all Felix wanted, after she had used him, and now Nyx had that claim. There was an abyss within her that continued growing every time someone left her life. She had chased Nyx from hers, and now all that remained was the ghost of memories in a changed home. All she had left was intangible.